Dr. Bridget
Dr. Bridget, Pharmacist
Experience:  Clinical Geriatric Pharmacist; Pharmacy Practice Residency training with extensive knowledge in pharmacological treatment of diseases;Special interest in alternative remedies.
89476429

I am 77 yrs old. Have been taking Estradiol one pill, once a

Customer Question

I am 77 yrs old.
Have been taking Estradiol one pill, once a day now, for over 25 yrs.
My OBGYN is prescribing Premarin, cream, everyday - and says to stop Estradiol.
I am not comfortable with stopping Estradiol.
What other options do I have beside Premarin for painful intercourse? and if I do should I indeed stop Estradiol?
Category: Pharmacy
Expert:  Dr. Bridget replied 1 year ago.

Hi Danielle! Welcome and thanks for your question! My name is ***** ***** I am the Pharmacist that will be assisting you today. I see that you are looking to find out what treatments are available for painful intercourse and, if implemented would you need to stop Estradiol.

1) There is only one other treatment besides estrogen that is FDA approved for the treatment of postmenopausal painful intercourse. It is called Osphena.

2) Osphena cannot be taken with Estradiol, but there is an upside to this: Osphena acts like estrogen at some receptors in your body and may treat some of the symptoms that Estradiol treats. You may not feel the need to be on Estradiol if Osphena can treat these symptoms. Also, Osphena carries a lower risk than Estradiol of some serious side effects like heart attacks, strokes and blood clots.

If you have any other questions or comments, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.
Thank you,
Bridget

Hi Danielle! I wanted to check in with you as I see you have not viewed the answer I have posted for your question regarding alternatives to Premarin for painful intercourse. Please take a moment to review what I have posted and let me know if you have any further questions/comments.

Thanks,

Dr. Bridget, PharmD, CGP