Drugdad
Drugdad, Pharmacist
Experience:  I have a doctor of pharmacy degree with experience in both retail and hospital. I will be happy to share this knowledge with you
66334938

I'm trying to find new insomnia meds. Just curious about

Customer Question

I'm trying to find new insomnia meds. Just curious about sonata if it will work or not since ambien no longer does for me? Is remeron as strong as ambien with the euphoria effects? Thank you.
Category: Pharmacy
Expert:  Drugdad replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thanks for the question. Sonata is definitely a good alternative to ambien if the ambien is no longer working for you. Remeron is also a good choice especially if there is comorbid with other mood disorders.

My suggestion would be to give the sonata a try.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Aren't they both z drugs? Don't they act on the same gaba receptors? I was on ambien for 5 years
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What about halcion?
Expert:  Drugdad replied 1 year ago.

Halcion is a benzo with short acting half life. Your doctor can definitely try it for but you but it is used less these days.

Yes both Ambien and sonata act on GABA receptors but both drugs bind or have selectivity for specific receptors. Ambien binds more to BZ1 than BZ2. What this means it, there are small difference in how both drugs work.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would like to build back my tolerance to gaba receptor drugs. I've taken Seroquel in the past but all the side effects scare me? I currently take klonopin every night too
Expert:  Drugdad replied 1 year ago.

I think you mean to say, you want ambien or gaba receptor drugs to work for you again like before. The best way to achieve this by switching to a different drug for some time and allowing your body to adjust.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've only been back on ambien for five weeks after 14 month hiatus. Shouldn't it be working just like in the beginning?
Expert:  Drugdad replied 1 year ago.

You should experience better result than it was before you stopped it but not like the first time you took it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm taking with klonopin. Is there a cross tolerance? Isn't working well together
Expert:  Drugdad replied 1 year ago.

Yes, it is more likely since clonazepam also stimulates GABA receptor

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
would be better to take alone then? Psych said to take together. I'm confused
Expert:  Drugdad replied 1 year ago.

Your question was whether taking clonazepam can also lead to cross tolerance to ambien. The answer is yes. Can both drugs be taken together? Yes, as long the doses are ok with the patient.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
taking together is making my tolerance to ambien higher bc they both act on gaba for me? So would be best to take alone for me?
Expert:  Drugdad replied 1 year ago.

Yes but clonazepam alone might not strong enough for your sleep. Your doctor can prescribe other drugs like remeron.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I take ambien alone?
Expert:  Drugdad replied 1 year ago.

Not a problem either

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
should work better if just taking ambien by itself? Just trying to clarify sorry
Expert:  Drugdad replied 1 year ago.

I didn't see your last post.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ambien will work better without the added klonopin?
Expert:  Drugdad replied 1 year ago.

No, it may help in prolonging your sensitivity to the ambien

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I want the ambien to the work as effectively as possible? How would you recommend I do this? I stop eating meals before 4pm
Expert:  Drugdad replied 1 year ago.

Just don't take immediately after meal. 2 hours is fine