Dr. Bridget
Dr. Bridget, Pharmacist
Experience:  Clinical Geriatric Pharmacist; Pharmacy Practice Residency training with extensive knowledge in pharmacological treatment of diseases;Special interest in alternative remedies.
89476429

I work in health care and yesterday I. Tried to lift a

Customer Question

I work in health care and yesterday I. Tried to lift a patient with a coworker. We were supposed to lift in the count of 3 but my coworker got distracted n I did not realize n I lifted the patient causing me to make a mess of my back. I've tried ice packs n aspirin. Also warn compress. I'm in so much pain n laying in bed makes it worse. I'm not sure what to do and I really cannot make it to the doctor. I'm expected to go back to work tomorrow (I hate to miss a day of work) but I'm in so much pain I just want to scream n cry. Aspirin does nothing. Please tell me what else I can do. Thank you
Category: Pharmacy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Bridget replied 1 year ago.

Hi there! I am sorry to hear you are having some substantial pain. I would be happy to help. Do you have any medication allergies? I am in sort of a noisy environment, so if we can do this online that would be great!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, no allergies to any medication or anything thank I for responding

Ok, great! Since you work in healthcare, you can imagine how noisy a nursing home can be which is where I am:) Aspirin was a good place to start, but there are some other over the counter options (or combination of options) that might get you through until you can have a formal visit with a doctor. Another class of drugs called Non-steroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs (or NSAIDs) might be a bit better in treating pain from your acute injury. Naproxen (Aleve) is a good option because you only have to take it every 12 hours instead of every 4-6 hours like with Ibuprofen. You could also consider taking Acetaminophen (Tylenol) in addition to the Naproxen (if it doesn't work well by itself) either at the same time or in between doses of Naproxen. Also, using a pain patch or cream will offer some relief in addition to using the oral medications I just noted.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh ok. Well unfortunately those are things I've also tried. Ibuprophen 800mg and Aleve. By the time I can get to a doctor I will feel better. I don't really feel this was so helpful but thanks anyway

Ok, sorry to disappoint. I was trying to think of OTCs for you as you won't be able to get a prescription until you see a doctor. Do you want more OTC recommendations?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, thanks

Were their any specific treatment options you wanted to discuss?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll just have to somehow be seen by a doc Nit sure how that will happen as I can't. Move but I'll figure something out

Ok, just wanted to check to see if I can help you at all since you made an effort to ask your question. A lot of patients don't realize that they can combine the Tylenol with NSAIDs, so I thought I would throw that out there in case you hadn't tried it. It is a good combination...helps me with pain that I rate as a 10/10. It has even worked well for post-surgical pain, which can be pretty intense. Seems like you have some sprained muscles (or worst case scenario a slipped disk), so continuing to ice the area or heat the area (as you mentioned you have) as frequent as possible is a good idea...you can even rotate the two. You can probably even find an ice pack that you can attach to your back if you become mobile again soon:)

Hi! I am checking in with you to see if your back pain is getting any better. Have you been able to see a physician? Did you happen to try the Naproxen/Tylenol combination to see if that would help take the edge off? I really hope you have been able to get some relief. Please let me know:)

Thanks!

Dr. Bridget