Dr. Bridget
Dr. Bridget, Pharmacist
Experience:  Clinical Geriatric Pharmacist; Pharmacy Practice Residency training with extensive knowledge in pharmacological treatment of diseases;Special interest in alternative remedies.
89476429

I am on Dicloxacillin 500mg @2xday--the bottle with my

Customer Question

I am on Dicloxacillin 500mg @2xday--the bottle with my latest refill said to take one every 12 hours- one of my other refills says to take 1 hour before eating or 2 hours after eating. I am trying to reschedule my meds to make it more convenient for me. Having to take it one hour before or two hours after is hard to do with this families crazy schedule. I would like to take it at 5:30 am and Pm--your thoughts? Thanks in***@******.***
Category: Pharmacy
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.

This is fine. You can simply take every 12 hours.

that is normal and ok

Expert:  Dr. Bridget replied 1 year ago.

You will want to take dicloxacillin on an empty stomach as advised on the label (1 hour before or 2 hours after a meal). If taken with food, the amount of Dicloxacillin that is absorbed from your intestinal tract will be reduced and may have negative consequences (ie reduced efficacy), depending on the indication for which you are taking this medication.