Drugdad
Drugdad, Pharmacist
Experience:  I have a doctor of pharmacy degree with experience in both retail and hospital. I will be happy to share this knowledge with you
66334938

Doctor, my mom is 91. She has controlled atrial fib.

Customer Question

Doctor, my mom is 91. She has controlled atrial fib. Controlled CHF. High blood pressure that is mostly controlled. She takes for HTN-->> metoprolol 100 mg, diovan 160, nefidipine 60 mg, Multaq 400,(for afib) and HCTZ 25 mg. Takes immodium as needed for some diarrhea.
She is having trouble sleeping at night in her bed. It has gone on for 2 months. She either cant go to sleep or wakes at 3 am and cant go back.We want to know if there is anything contraindicated in taking her regular meds with melatonin. Any reported side effects, especially in the elderly??
Category: Pharmacy
Expert:  Drugdad replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thanks for the question. Yes, she can take the melatonin with those medications. There is no drug drug interaction with melatonin and those medication.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

as a follow up...what side effects have you had reported with taking melatonin and is there a particular brand that seems to be better. Its all over the counter as far as I can see

Expert:  Drugdad replied 1 year ago.

Impair glucose tolerance have been reported for melatoin. If she is diabetic, this is something to look out for. Nature's bounty 3mg melatonin is good.