Drugdad
Drugdad, Pharmacist
Experience:  I have a doctor of pharmacy degree with experience in both retail and hospital. I will be happy to share this knowledge with you
66334938

I have been prescribed oxycodone 30 mg back pain. When I

Customer Question

I have been prescribed oxycodone 30 mg for chronic back pain. When I fill my prescription at the pharmacy I specify that I want the generic brand mallinkrodt which works the best for me. Ive noticed that when I've filled a prescription in the past the
pill had a slightly different design. Is it possible for the pharmaceutical companies to produce three different designs of the same pill? In this case for the manufacturing company malinkrodt to produce the 30 mg oxycodone in different designs which could
vary based on distributions to different pharmacies but with the same chemical makeup?When I looked online there's a couple different pictures of the same medication which is the oxycodone 30 mg instant release it's made by mallinkrodt it has a M inside a
box on one side and a 30 on the other side so I would like to know if it's possible?
Category: Pharmacy
Expert:  Drugdad replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thanks for the question. It is usually to have two different tablets of the same drug from the same manufacturer. This usually occurs when there is change in tablet design. The old one will still be in the market with the new one. In this case, there is no way of specifying which one you want.

In most cases, the formulation of the tablets was changed that is why the are changing the design as well. Remember the active ingredient will still be the same.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Excellent response! I have been longing to find the answer. Thank you very much. I wanted to find out because recently there have been a lot of fake oxycodone pill cycling throughout the United States. Mostly the malinkrodt ones because they are the most tangible for recreational high purposes. The fake ones contain fentanyl and heroin and I was wondering how to test to see if they are pure oxycodone?
Expert:  Drugdad replied 1 year ago.

That would be a difficult test to do. If you are getting your medication from a US pharmacy, you shouldn't worry too much about counterfeit drugs.