Drugdad
Drugdad, Pharmacist
Experience:  I have a doctor of pharmacy degree with experience in both retail and hospital. I will be happy to share this knowledge with you
66334938

Which OTC glucose test should I buy? Had 6.5 reading and want

Customer Question

Which OTC glucose test should I buy? Had 6.5 reading and want to keep track. How to convert the home test reading into H1AC?
Category: Pharmacy
Expert:  Drugdad replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for the question. If you are test the H1ac level, you have to get a separate test kit for that. Walgreens and CVS pharmacy sell a kit for that but it is expensive. http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/walgreens-at-home-a1c-test-kit/ID=prod6248361-product
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

what about just testing glucose & converting that reading to H1AC?

Expert:  Drugdad replied 1 year ago.
Not recommended because A1C is testing long term on your hemoglobin were as regular blood sugar test is measuring the amount of sugar in your blood at the moment.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes, and is there a rule of thumb... fasting OTC test vs. A1C?

Expert:  Drugdad replied 1 year ago.
Fasting is usually better with glucose test.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

sorry for unclear communication... seems if I fast, then take the OTC test, I'll have a comparable vs. the A1C. Is that a bad premise?

Thank you!

Expert:  Drugdad replied 1 year ago.
Still not clear as to what your question is but let me offer this explanation.
With A1C test, you are looking at the average blood sugar for the past 2 to 3 months where as regular blood sugar testing it checking the level at the present time. There is no way of using regular result from blood sugar reading to compute your A1C level.
Since A1C is checking the average for 2 to 3 months, if you fast before checking, it wouldn't make that much difference.