Dr. C. Rollins
Dr. C. Rollins, Pharm. D.
Experience:  Knowledge in hormone replacement therapy, pediatrics, compounding, long term care, retail, hospice, etc.
74170494

Good Morning, Dr. I ws just prescribed 50mg of Nucynta to try

Customer Question

Good Morning, Dr. I ws just prescribed 50mg of Nucynta to try out, as a change from taking Oxycodone 30mg (4x/day) in combination with Oxycontin 40mg (3x/day), or Exalgo 16mg (3/day). I really have spent the better part of a Decade trying to figure out which Long-Acting/Short-Acting Combination workis best in the long term, and I have found that taking the medicatons mentioned above have proven ost effective. The only mediction that I found to work better in the short-term, and also allows me the ability to moderate the amount according to how it treats my pain, without causing ne any major side effects, are the Fentanyl Lozenges. I also have been taking Adderall for the past 5 years, for my ADD, which counterbalances any of the negative effects of the Opioids (constipation, etc.). Will Nucynta have any benefit to me if I switch at this point in my treatment, considering I have found a way to be a very productive member of society with my present treatment (I am a succeful Attorney)
Category: Pharmacy
Expert:  Dr. C. Rollins replied 1 year ago.
If your current treatment is working I would not see any reasons for changing. I would save yourself the trouble of trying to change. Did your Dr. provide any reasons why he or she wants you to change?
I would mention that is clinical trials Nucynta showed to be as effective as oxycodone or morphine with less reports of GI side effects. That being said there is not sufficient evidence in my opinion to change if your current regiment is satisfactory. Hopefully this helps answer your question. Once satisfied please rate my answer. Thanks.