Drugdad
Drugdad, Pharmacist
Experience:  I have a doctor of pharmacy degree with experience in both retail and hospital. I will be happy to share this knowledge with you
66334938

My son is a ship Captain and scuba diver in the south pacific.

Customer Question

My son is a ship Captain and scuba diver in the south pacific. He has limited internet service and relayed this information to me via satellite phone. He was diagnosed with an ear infection app 12 days ago, then as the pain increased and test were conducted, with a perforated ear drum during a subsequent visit, approximately 9 days ago. Each medical tech, a total of three, prescribed different medications and include the following:
- Amoxicillin, 500mg 1 3x per day. He took these meds for a period of 3 days
- Septra, 800/160 mg 1 2x per day. He is currently taking this.
- Ofloxacin Otic solution .03%, 4 drops 2x per day. He is currently taking this.
- Moxaclav, (amox BP) 500mg. He has not began taking this as he is concerned about the constant switching of medications or the adverse interactions between the medications.
Can you address his concerns and advise on an appropriate course of action. thank you.
Category: Pharmacy
Expert:  Drugdad replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for the question.
Expert:  Drugdad replied 1 year ago.
Augmentin (amoxicillin and clavulanate) is the drug of choice unless the patient is allergic to the drug or the culture is negative.
Expert:  Drugdad replied 1 year ago.
Bacrim or septra is also used for ear infection. The doctor might want to switch to a different drug after 3 days there was no improvement.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should he take both the amoxicillin and clavulante or cease taking the amoxicillin and begin taking the clavulante?
Expert:  Drugdad replied 1 year ago.
It is a combination drug meaning, it comes combined in a tablet.
Expert:  Drugdad replied 1 year ago.
If he is prescribed amoxicillin, he should continue it until finish.
Expert:  Drugdad replied 1 year ago.
The Moxaclav is Augmentin
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Other than the medication regime, what else should he be doing and is he does in fact have a perforated eardrum, how long is the recovery for this type issue?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What are the residual effects from taking these drugs together, i.e. stomach pain, etc, etc.
Expert:  Drugdad replied 1 year ago.
The likely side effect from the antibiotics is usually diarrhea. As for other things to consider, warm compress, avoid water entering the ear from shower or swimming. It should within 2 months.
Expert:  Drugdad replied 1 year ago.
I hope I have answered your question but If you have additional question feel free to ask.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Drugdad replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One last thing I forgot to mention, he is taking Sudafed as well. Should he stop that? Thanks
Expert:  Drugdad replied 1 year ago.
Yes, he should stop taking it