Drugdad
Drugdad, Pharmacist
Experience:  I have a doctor of pharmacy degree with experience in both retail and hospital. I will be happy to share this knowledge with you
66334938

Is there a safer alternative (fewer side effects, less

Customer Question

Is there a safer alternative (fewer side effects, less toxic) then the anti-arrhythmic amiodarone for a person who recently had a cardioversion due to atrial fibilation?
Category: Pharmacy
Expert:  Drugdad replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for the question.
Yes there are other drugs your doctor can try but it all depends on medical history and conditions. These are the other drugs: Dofetilide, Ibutilide, Propafenone, and Flecainide.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I am aware of the other anti arrhythmics but of these which have greater control on atrial fib. with less side effects that i can ask her dr about. Are there reasons why some drs will prescribe amiodarone over others, and i heard there is new drug similar to amiodarone but not available in generic, do you know which one this is?
Expert:  Drugdad replied 1 year ago.
Yes, all these drugs are indicated for A.fib. Multaq is similar to amiodarone but it is not indicated for A.fib. In terms of cost/benefit, amiodarone is a good choice. Tikosyn (Dofetilide) will require hospitalization to initiate therapy.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes her dr recommended tikosyn as an alternative to amiodarone. Is tikosyn as potent as amiofarone and are side effects less severe?
Expert:  Drugdad replied 1 year ago.
It is different and safe just like amiodarone.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does tikosyn affect lung, liver, thyroid, etc like amiodarone or are side effects less severe
Expert:  Drugdad replied 1 year ago.
No, it does not affect those organs in any significant way. The problem is it can cause other form of arrhythmia