Drugdad
Drugdad, Pharmacist
Experience:  I have a doctor of pharmacy degree with experience in both retail and hospital. I will be happy to share this knowledge with you
66334938

I first got tonsillitis in Nov '14, then it came back in

Customer Question

I first got tonsillitis in Nov '14, then it came back in January 15, I was put on penicillin 10 day treatment 6 pills 3 times a day. Then I got it again at the end of April and put on the same penicillin. Then last week it was still sore, especially my
right side, so I got amoxicillian 500g 3 times a day for 7 days. My throat is still enlarged, especially the right side. I went for blood work and my white blood cell is high. The swab came back negative. I am being referred to a throat specialist. But I am
wondering if it's just the wrong anti-biotics that I am being prescribed? So it's not fully killing the bacteria? I am reluctant to have my tonsil out as the doctor should have prescribed a higher or different penicillin?
Category: Pharmacy
Expert:  Drugdad replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for the question.
Yes, different antibiotic like Augmentin could have been prescribed for you. Also zithromax could have been prescribed too as a replacement.