Dr. C. Rollins
Dr. C. Rollins, Pharm. D.
Experience:  Knowledge in hormone replacement therapy, pediatrics, compounding, long term care, retail, hospice, etc.
74170494

Dave, I'm concerned about taking an antihistamine & you

Customer Question

Hi Dave, I'm concerned about taking an antihistamine & you just answered my question! Thankyou. One more question.....I was prescribed clindamycin (I believe I may have a staff infection) I took it for one day & the lesion worsened...I then went to er & they admitted me & gave me the "vico" antibiotic intravenously for a day. They then released me & prescribed sulfamethoxazole. I was released last Thursday & just this morning had another lesion pop up on my other arm!!!! In my discharge notes it says to discontinue the clydamycin & start the other one but it seems like my lesion is getting worse. I might just go back to er but was going to try antihistamine for an hr. or so because I think it may be starting to get better...I took BOTH antibiotics, is that ok? Sorry for the ramble
Category: Pharmacy
Expert:  Dr. C. Rollins replied 1 year ago.
It is ok that you took both antibiotics for one dose, however I would not continue to do so as taking both antibiotics together for a prolonged period of time could lead to an increased risk of overgrowth of a bacteria in the gut called c. difficile and causing uncontrolled loose stools. Hopefully this answers your question. Once satisfied please rate my answer. thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thankyou very much. I'm just going to go to the Dr. tomorrow if it's still not better. I am glad I know not to take double antibiotics
You are welcome. If you are satisfied please rate my answer at your convenience. Thanks again.
Hopefully you have had time to review my answer. If I can help you further let me know. Once Satisfied please rate my answer. Thanks.