Clauduke,RPh
Clauduke,RPh, Pharmacist
Experience:  Pharmacist for 15 years in multiple practice settings.
56575775

Why is tetracycline not available in US?

Customer Question

Category: Pharmacy
Expert:  Clauduke,RPh replied 2 years ago.

Clauduke,RPh : Hello. I can do some research and help you on this. Can you give me a few
Clauduke,RPh : Minutes?
Clauduke,RPh : There is a shortage of raw materials according to tetracycline manufacturers. No release date as of yet. May I ask what you are
Clauduke,RPh : Taking it for so I may offer other alternatives?
Customer :

I have been taking this med for 20 years for cystic acne. It works well and does not cause any GI problems. In its absence, I have been taking doxicycline, which doesn't work as well and causes reflux unless I stand for 45 minutes.

Clauduke,RPh :

minocycline is also an alternative to tetracycline. You may want to try it to see if it works better and causes less stomach upset. I am sorry that something that has worked so well for you in the past is so hard to obtain. You may want to look at other antibiotics such as erythromycin or clindamycin as well. I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Clauduke,RPh :

You may also be able to obtain tetracycline from a canadian pharmacy. There are online canadian pharmacies such as canadapharmacyonline that will fill a prescription from your doctor if you fax it to them. It may be worth looking into.

I have switched to QA mode because I was having technical difficulties. I am not sure if you saw my last posts so I will repost here: