pharmacydoc
pharmacydoc, Pharmacist
Experience:  Educator with hospital and retail experience.
63199225

Is ciclopirox nail lacquer effective for nail fungus or should

Customer Question

Is ciclopirox nail lacquer effective for nail fungus or should I start antibiotics? I have used it for a few weeks but want to get this over once and for all.
Category: Pharmacy
Expert:  pharmacydoc replied 4 years ago.

The topical lacquer solution carries and FDA indicated use for onychomycosis (fungal nail infection) of fingernails and/or toenails.

This may be used alone or in combination to treat fungal infections. Were you prescribed this as well as an antibiotic?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I was only prescribed Ciclopirox. I want to know if I should get an antibiotic also. I don't want to be doing this in 6 months

Over-the-counter remedies don't really work - that you found out for yourself.

Ciclopirox alone may, however, the best chance of resolving this once and for all is to take the oral antibiotics as well.

Fungal infections in general are challenging to treat.

I am going to provide you a link to read a bit more about this to help you make a decision. In addition to being a long course of antibiotics, you will also require blood tests to monitor your liver during the course of antibiotic therapy.

The link is: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002306/

pharmacydoc, Pharmacist
Experience: Educator with hospital and retail experience.
My recommendation would be to try the lacquer; if you don't respond, then consideration to the antibiotics may be given (unless your physician prescribed both).
Expert:  pharm0610 replied 4 years ago.
Hi! Nail fungus is a tough problem to have. Unfortunately, you can kill the nail fungus with prescription antibiotics, but it will still take the full course of the nail growth cycle to notice the difference. Once a nail is embedded with a fungus, it must grow out and be cut off to remove the sight of the fungus. Taking a daily multivitamin (or at least Vitamin A) will help the overall health of your nails, making them stronger.
I apologize for any confusion that may have been created by this new member to the JA community responding to my follow-up after you already accepted.