24257177
Pharmacy

Over the counter ointment comparable to Bactroban ointment

What over the counter ointment... Show More
What over the counter ointment is comparable to bactroban ointment
Category: Pharmacy
dansheibley,
Experience:
replied 5 years ago.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :
First off, bactroban's active agent is mupirocin
While the typical triple antibiotic ointments/neosporin contain: Neomycin/Polymyxin B and Bacitracin
Were you prescribed Bactroban? Because if you were i can not recommend you to stop using that ointment
You should always follow your prescribing physician's instructions.

JACUSTOMER-k3f8zn97- :
I was prescribed it awhile ago but I ran out and really didn't feel like waiting to go to the doctor to get it re prescribed

Daniel Sheibley, MD :
If you were previously prescribe that specific ointment it was likely because that is of either the proper strength or of the right antibiotic (not all are correct type of infection) condition you were diagnosed with.
If you can't wait appointment there are drop-in clinics which can provide diagnosis and treatment medical problems.
the minute clinic at CVS is one near me that does that
Even on a Superbowl Sunday you could be seen there
However, as a disclaimer, if you are having signs of a systemic infection you should be seen at the ER as that can be very dangerous.

DrRussMD,
Experience:
replied 5 years ago.

There is nothing comparable to bactroban over the counter.
Bactroban is reserved staph infection.
You have not stated what you are tring to treat
Neosporin is find and scrapes
Impetigo should get bactroban as there is resistance.
can you give me more detail?
Customer reply replied 5 years ago.
Its i had a prescription but it ran out and I dont want to go to the ER to get a refill
DrRussMD, replied 5 years ago.

OK
In fact the clinical reality is that if neosporin would start working then this would actually be a preferred treatment since we do not want to create resistance to bactroban.
So if you used that today and you started seeing improvement, you could then simply show it to a doc and make sure all is going well, and using this to clear it up would actually be preferred.
However, if not obviously clearing up in three days or so the doctor should switch to bactroban.

You also have to realize that the problem is that you can in some cases give this to family members.

The other problem is if it is MRSA.

YOu also have not considered that you can have your doctor or the answering service doctor on call call in a refill the doctor that gave it too you before.

So
It is not an emergency.
You should have doctor supervision.
If you used neosporin until tomorrow and had your regular doctor look at this to avoid the ER that is perfectly acceptable as long as you are keeping it covered with the antibiotic and a bandage and then following up with the doc.
good luck