Dr.Amita, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD(Pharmacology)

Can I take Azithromycin 250 mg (zpack) if I am currently taking

Can I take Azithromycin 250 mg (zpack) if I am currently taking Citalopram 20 mgs at night and have been for about 3 months now? I was given the zpack for acute bronchitis today at a local urgent care clinic. Thank you.
Category: Pharmacy
Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 4 years ago.
Yes there exists an interaction with the two medicines. But since your dose of citalopram is less than 40mg/day the chances of prolongation of QT interval is less. So you can take it. But if you have irregular pulse or palpitation you should stop the medicine and go to your doctor.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you. I do realize there is a risk so I am trying to find if the risk outweighs the benefit of taking the pack. Do u feel a zpack is beneficial given most bronchitis is viral?? Thanks for your help!
Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 4 years ago.
Most cases of acute bronchitis are viral in origin and antibiotics should not be used unless the sputum shows bacteria on microscopic examination.