Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

What is the difference between oxybutynin 10 mg ER and oxybutynin

Customer Question

What is the difference between oxybutynin 10 mg ER and oxybutynin 5 mg and oxbyutynin cloride?

I now pay #7 for copay for ox10mg and next year it goes up to $43.00. Why?
Category: Pharmacy
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
The ER stands for extended release and being brand name only is more expensive. Generic medication has a lower co pay. Both the regular release and the extended release can be effective.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
did not tell me anything that I did not already know. Why would the 10 mgER in 2011 be a $7 copay and in 2012 it goes up to $43 per month. OUTRAGEIOUS--they did not change anything. It was generic
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
Sorry, but initially you only asked the difference in the two. I think that your insurance company must be considering what you're receiving as brand and not generic. If your doctor specifies generic on the script, then you will be given that and not charged so much.