FamilyPhysician
FamilyPhysician, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Physician in practice 25 years, prescribing and adjusting medications for patients of all ages.
1304720

Will sudafed show up as methamphetamine in a urine drug test

Customer Question

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Will_sudafed_show_up_as_methamphetamine_in_a_urine_drug_test_if_not_what_kind_of_over_the_counter_medicine_will#ixzz1Y4RkpLjm
Category: Pharmacy
Expert:  Clinical Pharmacist replied 2 years ago.
Hello -

Thank you for your question.

Unfortunately, there is a small probability that sudafed can cause a positive test result for methamphetamine on a urine drug test.

Here is a list of other potential causes for a false positive on a urine drug test:

Poppy seeds, for example, can show up on a drug test as morphine.
Cold remedies that contain codeine can also cause a positive result for morphine.

Valium reportedly can produce erroneous indications of PCP (Phencyclidine), and other cold remedies can apparently produce false reports of methamphetamine usage.
Dextromethorphan can produce a falsely positive qualitative urine opiate screening.

The widespread availability of hemp-containing products, including everything from hemp-seed oil nutritional supplements to hemp-seed candy, cookies, cheese, bread, cooking oil, and general seasoning, means that ingesting ANY of these products could potentially cause a false positive result on a test for marijuana.

Ibuprofen, contained in Advil, Nuprin, and Motrin, can make a positive result for marijauna. The EMIT test (an immunoassay test) has therefore been changed to use a different enzyme to eliminate false positives due to Ibuprofen. Ibuprofen in very high doses will still interfere with both the EMIT and the GC/MS (Gas Chromatograph/Mass Spectrometer) test. Ibuprofen: Ibuprofen is a common pain reliever that (even in low dosages) used to cause a false THC positive on the EMIT test. The EMIT has been changed to use a different enzyme to eliminate false positives due to Ibuprofen. Ibuprofen in very high doses will still interfere with both the EMIT and the GC/MS. There is some conflicting data here because some sources say that the GC/MS tests can distinguish between Ibuprofen and THC (as well as other over-the-counter drugs).

Common over the counter cold, asthma, and allergy remedies and diet pills such as Diatec, Dexatrim, Cotylenol, Triaminic, Primatene, Bronkotabs, and Nyquil can show up as positive for amphetamines.
Vicks Formula-44, Demerol, Midol, Primatene-M and common prescription antidepressants such as Elavil and Tofanil can show up as positive for opiates such as opium and heroin.

Ephedra, also known as Ephedra Alkaloids or 'MaHuang Extract' has a chemical structure which is closely related to amphetamine, and can reportedly give a false positive for amphetamines. Often sold as an 'energy pill' it is an effective decongestant in low doses.

Valerian root is reported to cause false positives for benzodiazepines. Other herbal supplements such as Kava Kava and St Johns Wort may also affect body chemistry such that false positives are produced.

Zoloft is reported to cause false positives in urine screens, although for what specific substance isn't clear.

Primatene can also show up as positive for barbiturates, and Benadryl can show up positive for Methadone.

Some additional over the counter medicines that may cause various kinds of drug test interactions include Alka-Seltzer plus, Allerest, Bronkaid, Contac, Donnagel, Sinuntab, and Sudafed.

I hope this helps answer your question.

Thanks.
Expert:  FamilyPhysician replied 2 years ago.
Unfortunately, the other expert's answer failed to mention that there are 2 different types of drug tests;

Screening immunoassay test that can give you these false positives and confirmatory test (GC/MS or LC/MS).

The confirmation tests are NOT prone to these false positives. The ONLY over-the-counter drug that can theoretically give you a "false positive" GC/MS for methamphetamine is Vicks Inhaler, since it actually contains a form of methamphetamine. Additional entantiomer testing will however be able to differentiate the l-methamphetamine in Vicks from the illegal drug methamphetamine that contains d-methamphetamine.