Dave
Dave, Pharmacist
Experience:  Residency Training at Duke University Medical Center, specialist in Pain and Symptom Management
37376313

Can you take antibiotics with an antihistamine

I went to the doctor this week for a swollen finger and the doctor diagnosed me with cellulitis. He prescribed me 500 mg of Keflex and 800 mg Bactrim. The prescriptions aren't helping, in fact, they're getting worse. I'm noticing that the infection begins with a bug bite and I think it's really an allergic reaction that causes my skin to welt up. Anyway, my question is can you take antibiotics with an antihistamine?
Category: Pharmacy
Expert:  Dave replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

Yes, you can take an antihistamine such as Claritin, Zyrtec, Allegra, Benadryl with most, if not all, oral antibiotics. However, if your infection does not improve or gets worse notify your physician/prescriber so that you can be re-evaluated or prescribed something else.

I hope I have answered your question!
Thank you
Dave