PharmDoc8283
PharmDoc8283, Pharmacist
Experience:  Doctorate in Pharmacy (PharmD), Board Cert in Geriatrics (CGP), exp in long-term care and retail
38955041

Can azithromycin and levaquin be used at the same time

Customer Question

Can azithromycin and levaquin be used at the same time?
Category: Pharmacy
Expert:  PharmDoc8283 replied 3 years ago.

PharmDoc8283 :

Hello and thanks very much for the question!

PharmDoc8283 :

Although these are both antibiotics, these can actually be used together safely

PharmDoc8283 :

Levaquin, when you start it, should be given a few hours apart from milk, dairy, calcium based antacids, and multivitamins so it can work properly

Customer:

Should I stop taking the Z-pack if it's not helping the prostatitis and if my throat and ears are hurting?

PharmDoc8283 :

take some yogurt or other cultured dairy product - maybe some lactobacillus supplement if you're lactose intolerant when using these both together

PharmDoc8283 :

The azithromycin in the ZPAK actually lasts about 10 days after you stop using it - (very long half life) you can stop it now if you want, but I would still contact your doc about your symptoms

Customer:

And, before the Z-pack, my doctor prescribed me Ciproflaxacin

PharmDoc8283 :

Ah, yes, cipro is the usual drug of choice for prostatitis

PharmDoc8283 :

This can take about a month or so to resolve in some cases from what I understand

Customer:

After the Cipro, he prescribed the Z-pack, and now he prescribed Levaquin. He said that the prostatitis was hardto diagnose. I just feel like I'm taking too many antibiotics at once; does that matter?

PharmDoc8283 :

This does seem like a lot of meds, but the good thing is they are all clinically appropriate for your diagnosis

PharmDoc8283 :

You are certainly correct to ask, though, many errors are caught this way

Customer:

So, I only have one more pill of the 5-pill Z-pack; should I take it or just stop it and start the Levaquin?

PharmDoc8283 :

You can stop if you'd feel more comfortable with that.

PharmDoc8283 :

It wouldn't hurt, but it may not do any good for you either

PharmDoc8283 :

I would definitely tell the prescriber about your throat and ears hurting - it seems like you might be coming down with some sort of secondary infection or something... getting those while your on antibiotics may indicate there's some resistant bug there.

Customer:

And if I take it and I start the Levaquin, can I take them at the exact same time, or do I need to leave a certain amount of time in between taking them?

PharmDoc8283 :

Or it could be allergies and it's nothing

PharmDoc8283 :

No, timing is not an issue between those meds in particular... you can swallow them in the same mouthful safely

PharmDoc8283 :

the meds that do interact with the "quinolone" class like levaquin are those "bivalent cations" aka calcium, magnesium, etc. supplements

PharmDoc8283 :

they have little other interactions unless you're on coumadin or have some musculoskeletal dysfunction

PharmDoc8283 :

your doc would know to look out for those issues

Customer:

Ok, yeah, those don't apply to me. I really appreciate your help.

PharmDoc8283, Pharmacist
Experience: Doctorate in Pharmacy (PharmD), Board Cert in Geriatrics (CGP), exp in long-term care and retail