Clinical Pharmacist
Clinical Pharmacist, Pharmacist
Experience:  I'm a clinical pharmacist, and have completed 2 years of residency and have years of experience.
57378174

Is it safe to drink alcohol (wine) while on prednisone (20mg)

Is it safe to drink alcohol (wine) while on prednisone (20mg)? I have been on it for about a week to aleviate hives.
Hello -

Thank you for your question.

As I'm sure not being able to drink alcohol for the last week has been hard, I'm unfortunately going to say it is not recommended to drink alcohol while on prednisone. There is the potential for these to interact and decrease the effectiveness of the prednisone.

Hang in there!

Thanks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks anyways. I don't drink alcohol regularly, but am just desiring to relax with a nice glass of sweet red wine to "take the edge off". I will go with your advice though, and again, thank you for taking the time to get back to me. Greatly appreciated.