Clinical Pharmacist
Clinical Pharmacist, Pharmacist
Experience:  I'm a clinical pharmacist, and have completed 2 years of residency and have years of experience.

Are there any interactions between Mucinex and DayQuil?

Are there any interactions between Mucinex and DayQuil I should be worried about? Can they be taken together or do I need to take one now, and the other in 4 hours?
Category: Pharmacy
Expert:  Clinical Pharmacist replied 5 years ago.
Hello -
Thank you for your question.
Based on the way you've listed the products, there is no interaction between Mucinex and DayQuil. Mucinex has a cough expectorant (guaifenesin) and DayQuil has a fever/pain reducer (tylenol), a cough suppressant (dextromethorphan) and a nasal decongestant (phenylephrine). None of these medications interact with each other. If you are taking the DayQuil Mucus Control, this has a lower dose of Mucinex in it, so I wouldn't recommend taking both. Also, if you are taking Mucinex D or Mucinex DM, this overlaps with some of the ingredients from DayQuil, so I wouldn't recommend that either.
So in summary, if you are taking plain Mucinex and plain DayQuil, there are no interactions. If you are taking either with other added ingredients, there could be an interaction.
I hope this helps.