Pauline
Pauline, Pharmacist
Experience:  MRPharmS since 1993
659881

My Physician prescribed 5 mg.of valium to take before a pet-ct

My Physician prescribed 5 mg.of valium to take before a pet-ct scan due to my ancieties.
Question: how long after taking the pill will effect take place?and secondly how long does the affect last? Thank you, Hannah
Category: Pharmacy
Expert:  Pauline replied 5 years ago.

Pauline :

The valium should be taken one hour before the PET scan, the effect will start working before this however the one hour allows time for blood levels to rise.

Pauline :

The length of time of the effect of valium will vary for different people, I would expect a good effect for 5-6 hours, and certainly should not need repeated until 8 hours after the first tablet.

Pauline :

It will make you drowsy and affect concentration so do not drive after taking it for at least 12 hours.