Pauline, Pharmacist
Experience:  MRPharmS since 1993

What is the maximum safe daily dosage of prednisone

Customer Question

What is the maximum safe daily dosage of prednisone? I have a severe sore neck and saw a doctor today who prescribed prednisone 10 mg tablets to be taken in decreasing amounts over the next several days. The bottle says use as directed and I either lost or forgot his directions. His office is now closed. How much can I take to start?
Category: Pharmacy
Expert:  Pauline replied 5 years ago.

Pauline :

Hello, if you have been on prednisolone for more than 5 days then you need a reducing dose to tail off gradually. The safe maximum dosage varies and depends on what you had been taking. So tell me exactly how many you have taken on each day and I will see where we are with reduction....also how many tablets do you have left?