Pauline
Pauline, Pharmacist
Experience:  MRPharmS since 1993
659881

Can I take trilipix every other day and it still help my cholesterol.

Can I take trilipix every other day and it still help my cholesterol. Thanks so much
Category: Pharmacy
Expert:  Pauline replied 6 years ago.

Pauline :

Unfortunately if you take it every other day then the amount in the body will go up and down and therefore not achieve steady state therapeutic effect. Therefore it would not give you the benefits of reducing cholesterol however you would still see side effects.

Pauline :

The daily dose can be varied from 45-135 depending on underlying kidney function.

Customer:

I have a solitary kidney, lost one to cancer 14 years ago. My creatine levels have gone up since I started taking trilipix a year ago. They have never increased over the 14 years. I am also now a diabetic and take metformin and glimpiride.

Customer:

Should I take a lower dose of trilipix.

Customer:

Also, does glimpiride hurt the heart?

Pauline :

Yes you should be on the 45mg dose of trilipix, although you should have kidney function checked to see if even that is suitable. Metformin may also need to be reviewed as it is not a good drug when renal function is poor.

Customer:

If I can't take metformin for diabetes, what are my options. Diet only?

Pauline :

Glimpiride is not harmful to the heart but can affect liver function, and again may need dose review in kidney impairment to avoid hypoglycaemia.

Pauline :

If metformin is not suitable, then you may need insulin which would give you good control of your blood glucose with less risk to kidney.

Customer:

Can I control with diet and exercise if I truly commit.

Pauline :

Diet and exercise is suitable for some patients with mild type II diabetes, however if you currently need two drugs then it is unlikley that you will be able to achieve control without medication of some type.

Pauline :

There are risks of not controlling blood glucose, so this does need to be carefully monitored to reduce risks of long term complications affecting heart, kidney and eyes.

Customer:

I did not realize all 3 can affect my kidney. I only have the one and I want to watch out for it. Diabetes runs on both sides of my family. I would not be a good candidate for injecting myself. I would pass out. What in the world would I do?

Pauline :

If you do not like the idea of daily injections and you only need a small dose of insulin then perhaps an insulin pump would suit you as this is less needles.

Pauline :

And the needle used for insulin is tiny, it only goes just under the skin so many people are suprised how easy it is once shown.

Pauline :

I hope this was helpful.

Customer:

I can't even think of it. I am working on weight loss and I believe it will help. My kidney is still in good function BUT the creatine has gone from 1.2 to 1.5-1.6 . The doctors check protein and function as well. I could not do the contrast at my last MRI. This was the first time I could not have the contrast. I have one every 14 years to make sure cancer gone. Sorry to ask, but what is a pump and is this something that you have to do at every meal? I think, if I can lose enough weight, I will just quit eating.. haha or become a vegetarian. IIf I take less trilipix, I am on 135 and go to the 45mg, will that help somewhat?

Pauline :

Certainly changing to 45mg will help. In terms of insulin pump. the pump has a small needle inserted under the skin and is covered by a dressing. It is attached to a small box that sends insulin through under programmed instructions depending on your need. It gives you very good control of your insulin/glucose and has been shown to reduce long term complications.

Pauline :

I need to go off line now but will check back later to see if this has helped.

Customer:

Lord willing it will never come to that. I will ask my doctor about changing to 45 mg right way.

Pauline :

Best wishes

Customer:

Do you know anything about seaweed and if it is good for you. My sister was telling me about it and I am looking into it. What do you suggest?

Customer: