Pauline
Pauline, Pharmacist
Experience:  MRPharmS since 1993
659881

Is there an over the counter equivalent of desonide 0.05% ?

I have been using a medication called desonide 0.05% lotion for my face. Is there any other over the counter product that i can use to replace this item.
Category: Pharmacy
Expert:  Pauline replied 3 years ago.

This is a low-medium potency steroid, and I would not normally recommend this for regular use more than a couple of weeks. Why was this prescribed?

Customer :
because i had some skin rash or some fungus on my face

Pauline :
This should not normally be used for fungal infections. What is the appearance of the skin now?

Customer :
My skin gets dry and i get these little pimples that has some sort of clear yellow pus

Pauline :
Have you had any skin scrapings or swabs? Skin scraping is where dry skin is scraped into a small envelope to send to check for fungal infection. Swabs are sticks dragged over the pus and sent for analysis.

Customer :
No

Pauline :
There are a wide range of possible skin conditions, so being able to visualise the skin is important as well as then deciding if scraping/swab is needed. How long have you been on the desonide?

Customer :
for over 5 years

Pauline :
This is a bit longer than we usually recommend unless there is a clear diagnosis of eczema or psoriasis.

Pauline :
I think you need a new approach to looking after your skin. When was the last time you saw a doctor about it?

Customer :
what do you suggest i use or what i can do about this problem

Pauline :
You need a diagnosis although having used steroid for a long time, then you may see the skin worsen when you stop it for a period of time.

Certainly any weeping areas need to be swabbed and sent off to rule out infection.

Any dry areas can use a perfume free moisturiser such as Eucerin.

Customer :
that has already taken place for i did not use this stuff every day. Over the last 5 years i may have used a total of (3) 2-oz container? Are you taking about eucerin lotion?

Pauline :
Not using desonide every day is much better. Yes, eucerin lotion can be very good for dry skin. Have you tried it?

Customer :
no but will give a try. Is there any other kind that's out there?

Pauline :
There is a whole range of different products, either cosmetic based such as Clinique, or pharmaceutical such as Eucerin. If you speak to a pharmacist in person then he/she will be able to assess your face and recommend an appropriate product. Although if it does look like there is an infection or a more serious skin problem then you may have to see a doctor or dermatologist.

Pauline, Pharmacist
Experience: MRPharmS since 1993