Susan Peacock RPh
Susan Peacock RPh, Pharmacist
Experience:  35 years experience in retail and institutional pharmacy practice

Can I buy valtrex over the counter?

Can I buy valtrex over the counter? I have tried valtrex, but now I do not have insurance, after I lost my job.

Category: Pharmacy
Expert:  Susan Peacock RPh replied 5 years ago.

I'm sorry that you lost your job and insurance. These are certainly difficult times, and I hope you find a new job soon.

No, unfortunately Valtrex (valacyclovir) is not available over-the-counter.

Valtrex, along with Zovirax (acyclovir), is an antiviral medication used to treat infections of the herpes virus, including: genital herpes, shingles, and cold sores. These medications do not cure the infection, but they do slow the growth and spread of the virus.

Your physician may have samples of Valtrex that she/he could give you.

Zovirax was approved for use by the FDA before Valtrex, and it now can be prescribed in generic form, and is much less expensive than the brand names. You may want to discuss with your doctor, the possibility of using the generic Zovirax instead of Valtrex (which is still under patent and not yet available in generic form). It will depend on what form of the herpes virus that you have. If you have the 'cold sore' variety, there are good topical products over-the-counter that, while not antivirals, can make you more comfortable while your body fights the infection.

I hope this information helps you. If you have more questions, feel free to ask.