Susan Peacock RPh
Susan Peacock RPh, Pharmacist
Experience:  35 years experience in retail and institutional pharmacy practice
31719177

I have been taking Bactrim DS once a day for about 90 Days

I have been taking Bactrim DS once a day for about 90 Days now for acne. Overall it has helped but around day 60 i started to get actives again and now i am still breaking out but its not as inflammed so i think its losing its effectiveness. MY QUESTION IS:

I have been experiencing stomach issues, like nausea, and mucus stools at times, and just loss of appetite and am thinking about just stopping Bactrim DS tonight.

Will this hurt my body even more if i just quit all of a sudden after being on it for so long? I just think i am feeling ill because of being on it for so long. Please help!
Category: Pharmacy
Expert:  Susan Peacock RPh replied 3 years ago.

You are right to wonder about the long-term use of Bactrim DS and also about stopping it abruptly.

Generally, antibiotics are taken for a specified amount of time and then stopped, usually abruptly, and that is the case with Bactrim. There may be some reactions to stopping the antibiotics, but not withdrawal symptoms.

It is fairly recent that Bactrim has been used for acne and that is why it works well. The problem with using any antibiotic a lot or for long-term is that resistant strains of bacteria eventually develop and then the antibiotic is no longer as effective. This reaction is probably why the treatment is not working as well for you as it did at first.

Nausea, lethargy, and loss of appetite are fairly common side effects of Bactrim, and it can also affect your blood sugar, kidney function, and, with longterm use, can cause bone marrow depression, a more serious problem.

It won't hurt you to take a break from the Bactrim, and it could do your system good to do so, but you should discuss this with your dermatologist first.

I hope this information has helped you. If you would like more information, just ask.

If you are satisfied with the answer, please "Accept" it.
Thanks for coming to the JustAnswer website,
Susan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your reply.

Well i didnt take my pill last night and started a probiotic that i keep refrigerated today that contains 5 billion stands of beneficial bacteria. I am hoping this will help get me back to feeling better. I also hope my acne doesnt come back with a vengeance.

How long do u think it will be before the probiotic i am taking will work? Also did u think taking Bactrim DS for 90 days was long enough? Thanks for your time.

Yes, I think 90 days is plenty. The normal dose for a urinary tract infection or ear infection is one Bactrim DS tablet twice a day for 7 to 10 days.

I suspect you will begin feeling better soon. Keep hydrated (drink lots of water) as this will help your system get back to normal and will help your body fight the acne-producing bacteria as well. Also, using one of the acne-fighting topical products available at pharmacies can help keep your skin more free of bacteria

Not taking the the medication could cause a rebound in your acne eventually, but not necessarily. Using diet, good hygiene, and the over-the-counter topical products may just be enough. And if it does come come back in the future, you might use a different antibiotic. That is something you and your dermatologist will figure out.

I hope it goes away and stays away, as it sometimes does.

I hope this information has helped you. If you have more questions, just ask, otherwise, please "Accept" the answer.
Take care,
Susan
Susan Peacock RPh, Pharmacist
Experience: 35 years experience in retail and institutional pharmacy practice