Dave, Pharmacist
Experience:  Residency Training at Duke University Medical Center, specialist in Pain and Symptom Management

What is the difference between vesicare 5 mg and oxybutynin

What is the difference between vesicare 5 mg and oxybutynin chloride 2.5 mg? I have both prescriptions. Also, the oxybutynin comes in 5 mg and the directions say to break these in 1/2. I have used 2 different pill cutters and tried breaking these in 1/2 but they crumble like cake. Please advise. Thank you.

Both drugs work very similar but slightly different. They are both used for urinary frequency associated with urinary frequency, urgency, and urge incontinence. Some tablets may crumble when cut, as you found, and it may be that the 5mg tablet of oxybutynin could be used whole (intact) with authorization from your prescriber. For adults, a typical dose of oxybutynin is 5mg three times daily so if your prescriber is ok with this dosing, and you are not experiencing side effects, then maybe this strategy would avoid you having to cut them in half. The other option would be to use the vesicare alone, if possible.

Please let me know if you have additional questions. Thank you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
On both the vesicare and oxybuynin the instructions were to take once a day. Is the vesicare just longer acting where only one is required per day wheras the oxybutynin is not long acting and required 3 times a day? What is the dose of oxybutynin that is equivalent to 5 mg of Vesicare? Thank you very much.

You have it correct, vesicare is typically dosed once daily and the oxybutynin more frequently (3 times daily). Vesicare is dosed once daily because it lasts longer in the body versus oxybutynin. Because of this frequent dosing, there are extended-release formulations of oxybutynin available so that patients only have to take it once a day (Ditropan XL).

There is no "real" dose equivalent between them but if I had to make a guess it would be 5mg oxybutynin three times daily (15mg) would be therapeutically similar to 5mg vesicare. So this would equal 1mg vesicare = 3mg oxybutynin.

Hope this was helpful! Have a great day!