Dr. Lary
Dr. Lary, Pharmacist
Experience:  Pharm D

L How much Benadryl can you take in one day-please state how

How much Benadryl can you take in one day-please state how many pills and also what the dosage of the pills are. I heard that Benadryl doesn't stay in the system very long, maybe 3-4 hours.

Please keep this confidential-I don't want it to be a question out there for others to read.

Thank you.

I can't wait any longer tonight. I will try again tomorrow. thanks

Thanks for your question. Benadryl (or diphenhydramine) should be taken as 25mg to 50mg, for a maximum daily dose of 300mg. Most tablets or capsules of diphenhydramine come in 25mg. So for this dose, you could take 1 or 2 every 4 to 6 hours, for a maximum of 12 tablets/capsules a day.

Compared to some other medications, it is short acting, lasting about 4 to 6 hours. I would not recommend taking more than 2 every 4 hours, and no more than 12/day.

Thanks! Have a great night.

Dr. Lary
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
So, no more than 12 in in a 24 hour period? This won't affect my work or driving?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
One more thing, I am on clonazapam but my doctor said I could take benadryl with it. Also, I am not quite sure how to keep my questions so no other person can see them. Could you look into that for me so I am assured that they won't be for others to see? Thank you so much
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The reason I mentioned the clonazapam is because it has some sedated effect also-so am I still able to take the benadryl as you described?
Yes, no more than 12 in a 24 hour period. It absolutely may affect your working and driving, so please be cautious or consider an alternative. The main side effect of benadryl (diphenhydramine) is drowsiness. Some patients, typically very young children and the elderly, will experience the opposite effect and can feel hyperactive, however most will feel at least somewhat sedated. You should try it when you will not be driving/working to see how it will make you feel, if at all possible. Adding the benadryl with clonazepam can cause added drowsiness. They don't really interact but with the added drowsiness, it can affect the activities you are able to perform. If you can't see how it will make you feel before driving/working, I suggest you use an alternative.

What are you using the benadryl to treat? I will look into the privacy issue for you.

Dr. Lary

I have emailed the administrators to lock the question for your privacy. Let me know if I can be of help in suggesting an alternative.

Dr. Lary