Pauline
Pauline, Pharmacist
Experience:  MRPharmS since 1993
659881
Pharmacy

OTC product comparable to Elocon Mometasone Furoate cream 0.1%

Is there an OTC product... Show More
Is there an OTC product comparable to Elocon mometasone furoate cream 0.1% ?
Category: Pharmacy
replied 7 years ago.

, what are you using the elocon for?

Is there a reason getting a prescription?

How long have you used elocon?

Customer reply replied 7 years ago.

I'm currently using Elocon and I'm requesting an OTC equivalent because I'm between jobs with no health coverage at the moment. I've been using Elocon 4 years with great results. I've requested a prescription from my physician, however he will not write the script without an office visit ($135)

Pauline, Pharmacist replied 7 years ago.

I am afraid that you are limited in what steroids are available over the counter. Elocon is very strong and not normally used long term due to risk of skin thinning. The strongest product you can buy is cortisone but that is much much milder.

Do make sure that you are using a perfume free moisturizer to keep the skin soft, and you can try the over the counter products but I do not think that you will see much improvement, especially if you have used the Elocon regularly over recent months. Stopping it may result in a worsening of the dermatitis temporarily ..almost like a rebound effect.

So, to get a prescription you do need to be examined to verify that the Elocon is still appropriate. I am afraid that there is no way round this.