350matt
350matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer BEng Hons 22 years experience in car engine industry, 10 years in formula 1
12772297

Peugeot 307 1.4 16v petrol non starter
, drove out of

Customer Question

Customer: peugeot 307 1.4 16v petrol non starter
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: drove out of garage left on drive 20 mins wont start had crank case sensor changed still no change , all fuses checked when ignition swithed on fuel pump can be heard be on planet peugeot diag this states speed sensor fault when cleared it briefly trys to start then just cranks over would the rpm seep sensor on the rear of the engine stop it firing or would it be better to try new ciol pack
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Peugeot Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Peugeot
Expert:  350matt replied 11 months ago.

Hello

I'd check some basics

1st check for spark by removing one of the spark plugs and plug it back into its lead and rest it on the metal of the engine ( DO NOT hold it on place by hand) then have your assistant turn the engine over whilst you watch the plug. It should give a fat blue spark at regular intervals.

If not then check that there's power to the coil pack (at the other end of the plug lead) using a meter. If there’s 12V at the pack but no spark then check the ECU power supply (fuse and relay) and also the connections to the crankshaft speed sensor.

If there is a spark and its still not starting then its likely that the ECU isn't opening the fuel injectors, if the injectors are working you can hear them click - its difficult to hear them with background noise so use a long screwdriver like a stethoscope, placing the handle end in your ear and the metal tip against the body of the injector whilst your assistant turns the engine over.

If you can't hear anything check the ECU power is present by measuring voltage at the fusebox and on its relay socket if OK then check the connections to the crank speed sensor and consider replacing this sensor if the wiring / connections look OK

If the car will start using a squirt of quick/ easi start into the intake then this confirms the problem is lack of fuel

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
would a fault speed sensor at the back of the block stop car firing as this is what peugeot plant was listing as a fault
Expert:  350matt replied 11 months ago.

hello

yes a faulty crank sensor will stop teh engine from working entirely, but as you've already replaced it this is why suggest checking some basics

its possible the wirin to the sensor is faulty rather than the sensor itself - so its well worth checking the wiring and connector for any damage / corrosion

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
its the rpm sensor on the rear of the block that peugeot plant says is faulty not the crank sensor
Expert:  350matt replied 11 months ago.

hello

thats the same thing crank sensor = engine rpm sensor

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
one is on the rear of the block one is mounted block / gear box bell housing its the one with the shaft in it with cog attached to other end may be rev counter /speedo sensor
Expert:  350matt replied 11 months ago.

hello

the one on the gearbox is the vehicle speed sensor and won't prevent the engine from starting, check over the engine speed / crank speed wiring as the next step

Expert:  350matt replied 11 months ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.