Mike, Technician
Experience:  34 Years of repair / diagnostics
9261905

Peugeot 307 56 reg - front wipers work sometimes not other

Customer Question

Peugeot 307 56 reg - front wipers work sometimes not other times but if you push the mechanism, they work again for a while?
Category: Peugeot
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Hello and Welcome..

This is MIKE as requested.

This is a common issue with the 307 - and others - bad connections in the system... sometimes more than one.

The thing to do is release /undo the connection that you refer too- - then check the two parts carefully. Some on inspection, you find the pins have pushed back into the socket, meaning they dont connect properly unless pushed together....

Others have corroded connectors - in bad cases, the connector has to be re wired - by passed with a link wire - around the connectors if you undertand as you cant buy the connector blocks.

Still others - need the connectors "adjusting" to tighten them up.. and others just need a spray cleaner on them - If so, use a contact spray cleaner from a shop - designed for this job - NOT WD 40.. .. Maplin and the like have this spray..

One way or the other you should cure this as above.

On some - if the connection is to the actual wiper motor, the fault is inside the motor unit - and pushing it to get it to work is making contact inside the motor where you can't get at ... In these cases, using a nylon tie strap to tighten the connection will get you by... ultimatly the wiper motor needs to be replaced when it gets inopperable.

Let me know how you go..and / or let me know if you need anything further on this..

~~~>>>>>>~ Meanwhile - Please do click on the "Exc / Ok rating" for me at this time.. Thank you in advance for that . ..

Note that you can get back to me anytime at all after doing the rating - it doesn't close you out -

- Best Rgds, MIKE.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the wiper motor has been taken apart, the commutator has been cleaned, all connections to wiper motor - someone has suggested the Canbus Relay which we cannot locate and Peugeot tells me it is on BSI ????
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Hello again

Thank you for your reply - and further info. To be honest , it would have been helpful to know you had done all of that first. I was under the impression you were talking about bad connections on the circuit from what you outlined.

I wouldnt be too sure you have ruled out the wiper motor to be honest - Its best to bench test that to be sure - sperate from the car -- then you will know if the issue is with the motor - or on the car.

Yes it could well be the BSi itself - you can of course check the fuses etc on it for bad conenctions etc - but usually any such faults are internal.

If its looking that way, the best thing to do is to send the Bsi to a company ( you will find a few on google) who specialise in the test / repair of these units - at considerably less cost than a new unit.

I take it, as you haven't mentioned it- that you haven't had the electronics scanned with a diag machine - If not - that would be a good move for fault codes on that system - but given what you have told me now further, that , as above , is the way forward now.

... Again, let me know if you need anything else. -- I do just need you to click on the Ok ratings for me at this point - Thank you.. and again, you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish after.

Best Rgds, MIKE.