Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

I bought an Peugeot 407 HDi 1,6 Facelift in 2009. I often

Customer Question

Hey Mike!
I bought an Peugeot 407 HDi 1,6 Facelift in 2009.
I often changed oil with the recommended
qualifications -(Mobil 3000 -5 w 40-,)- at last visit for a stamp,- they told me, that
only the workshop shall change oil,- if not they will not guarantee for the engine ; and I of course also changed the oil-filter.
I am an engineer, and know what I am doing .
What do you think about that, as I feel my car, is my car!
Sincerely yours
Jens Peter
Category: Peugeot
Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.

Hi I'm Ross, thanks for trusting me to help you today. I am a diagnostic and repair technician and I look forward to working with you.

The dealer will work within the terms of the Peugeot warranty agreement, this varies between manufactures but most will require that the parts are genuine parts, fitted by a vat registered garage and stamped with the independent garages stamp to honor any form of warranty. The dealer will however never stamp the book unless the work has been carried out by them to their specific main dealer standards, this is normal for all main dealers, in fact stamping the book when they did not carry out the work is classed as fraud.

The warranty is provided by the manufacturer and requires these rules are adhered to, I have been in a situation where engine failure has occurred due to owners using incorrect oil grades on modern engines despite insisting they used the correct oil. After several letters to the warranty department, an oil sample and oil filter was sent for analysis which proved this, Warranty was refused. On the other hand I have also known of this proving the correct oil was used after a premature timing chain failure which lead to a partial warranty pay out but only 50% due to the lack of stamp in the book.

Ultimately no doubt you are more than capable of doing the servicing to and above required standards and from an engineers point of view I agree with you, but the dealers don't know and have no proof it is done to standards and so the warranty terms and conditions are set to reflect that. During the warranty period it is a compromise between spending more on regular servicing, or risking a considerable cost if a major issue did occur and warranty was refused.

I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service. Thank you, Ross.