Billy
Billy, Trainer/Master tech.
Experience:  Trainer 8+ years, Master tech. 10+ years, SAE member
30385560

Peugeot 30697E: Trying to fill transmission oil in my 1998

Customer Question

Trying to fill transmission oil in my 1998 peugeot 306 cabriolet
Category: Peugeot
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
drove for 5 minutes.car stopped accelerate but the car would not move,change gears but nothing happen but the engine is running
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome! I'm Billy and i will assist you with your inquiry. Feel free to ask if any further info is needed.
My apologies for the delay, thank you for your patience.
Which engine do you have on this (petrol diesel, 1.6, etc..)?
Which transmission fluid did you use?
How much transmission fluid did you use?
Did you check the transmission fluid after the problem occured?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did not fill any fluid, firstly could not find the filler the engine the engine capacity is 1998.0, may not be only oil the engine is running but the car is not moving at all Peugeot 1998 model 306 cabriolet vin vf37drfvp32505711
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
The VIN indicates that the model year is 2003.
And according to the VIN, you should have the ZF 4HP automatic transmission. (a 4 speed auto transmission manufactured by ZF).
In which case, it could be fluid, and could be an electrical problem.
I would start by checking fuses (inside the car fuse box, fuses: 5, 8 and 18). And in engine bay fuse box, fuse 7.
Having checked these, you need to take a look at the transmission fluid, does it have any burnt smell, color etc..
If you need to add fluid, you need a fluid that meets this norm: Esso LT71141.
When you move the shifter lever, does it have resistance as it normally moves? if not, check if connected to the transmission. As there is a cable from the shifter lever to the transmission itself, when the selector lever is moved, the corresponding switch on the transmission (having someone move the lever inside, and looking in engine bay, you will be able to detect the switch on the transmission).
Kindly check these, and get back to me with your findings.
Regards,
Billy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi billy
checked fuses they are fine, but could not find where to check transmission fluid ?as per my above question?and how to I refill the transmission fluid for the life of me I could not find the filler tnx
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
for the the lever is connected as it showing the gear D/P/1/2
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
As for the shifter, this is connected to the dash. But we need to check if the mechanical linkage (cable) is connected to the transmission.
The fluid on this model is a bit hard to check, replace:
- raise the vehicle on a flat surface
- get to the transmission oil sump.
- there are two plugs, one inside the other
- if you remove the center plug, with engine on, idling, and shifter on P, any excess fluid will fall
- to fill, you need to insert a tube inside this plug, with engine on, and using a pump (a hand pump would do) inject fluid till it starts to overflow from the plug (this is a level plug)
- to drain the fluid, you need to remove both plug, with engine off.
The fluid would need to meet the specifications: Esso LT71141
Regards,
Billy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still having problems , check transmission fluid seems ok !!
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
did you check the shifter linkage between the selector lever and the transmission itself? it should be connected. If loose or broken, it might also cause this.
Did you check for any fault codes using a scan tool?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry went for a business trip, can please draw a rough sketch of the 2 plugs as I could not find them, are plugs or bolts tnx
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I meant are they plugs or nuts?
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
They are plugs, not nuts.
I'm afraid i don't have diagrams for this model. However they should be really easy to find, as the only plugs (concentric) at the bottom of the transmisssion.