Mike, Technician
Experience:  34 Years of repair / diagnostics
9261905

Peugeot 307 hdi: hi i have just changed the engine on my peugeot

hi i have just changed the engine on my peugeot 307 hdi 90 bhp my old engine was a siemens the other one was a bosch i have changed everthing over apart fron the flywheel
now the car wont start its turning over but wont fire
put new timing belt on and thats all lined up

I had the driver's window open with the key in the ignition, which I think caused the car to go into Economy Mode, . Does anyone know if the Economy Mode actually will prevent engine starting and how do i get it out of economy mode
Category: Peugeot
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.

Mike :

Hello and Welcome to justanswer...

Mike :

Im afraid so - if it has gone into Eco MOde.. it will not start,...

Mike :

Thats the bad news... Sometimes - disconnecting the battery - re charging it ..will reset..and bring it live again....so you need to do that to try it...

Mike :

Hi there.. I see you have joined me in the Live Chat system..

Mike :

-- If it wont come out of Eco MOde... that is a problem for you Im afraid...

Mike :

It will then have to be connected to Peugeot or similer suitable equipment to sort it out ..

Customer:

i have charged the battery but still wont start

Mike :

I can tell you that this can be a problem that even the dealers have trouble with.....just so you are aware its not anything you have done with the engine change.

Mike :

Ok - did you follow the Peuegot battery dis/ reconnect procdure?

Customer:

no did not no there was one

Mike :

Ok we can try that then - give me a moment - what size engine do you have by the way?

Customer:

its a 307 hdi 2ltr 90 bhp

Mike :

ok - give me a moment -

Customer:

yes

Mike :

Ok , Im going to give you general info on this first - then more specifc to the car..

Mike :

General information

• Disconnecting battery may erase memory from electronic units (e.g. radio, clock).

• Disconnecting battery may erase memory from engine control module (ECM) and/or transmission control module (TCM) necessitating at least one drive cycle to be completed to restore driveability.

• To avoid risk of explosion, allow recently charged batteries sufficient time to fully vent before connecting.

• Unless otherwise stated:

• Ensure all electrical equipment switched OFF before disconnecting and reconnecting battery/batteries.

• Ensure ignition switched OFF and vehicle keys removed from vehicle interior before disconnecting and reconnecting battery/batteries.

• Where multiple batteries are fitted, ensure all are disconnected prior to commencing work.

• Disconnect battery earth lead(s) first.

• Connect battery earth lead(s) last.

Mike :

Now specifc to the car...

Mike :

Before battery disconnection

• Ensure all windows are fully closed.

• Ensure sunroof is fully closed.

• Switch ignition OFF.

• Wait 2 minutes.

Mike :

After battery connection

All models

• Switch ignition ON.

• Wait 1 minute.

• Start engine.

Mike :

Remote alarm/central locking

• Switch ignition ON.

• Immediately press and hold key lock button for a few seconds.

• Switch ignition OFF.

• Remove key from ignition switch.

Mike :

Now - I suggest do that as above - disc the battery and follow as above.. see if it then starts it.

Mike :

I can give you the Bsi reset / reboot procedure as well if you don't have it....

Customer:

yes that would be good thanks by the way the car is still on ramps at the front

Mike :

Ok - give me a min to get that for you - (its ok that its on ramps - that wont stop it )

Mike :

here is the procedure - follow it through to the letter and all should reset properly again then....

Method for starting the BSI:

1. The very first step is to unplug any diagnostic tool from the vehicle.

2. Make sure all the gadgets are switched off, the driver's window lowered down and open the bonnet.

3. Then close all the doors and take off the key from ignition.

4. After a 3 minute interval, unplug the vehicle's battery terminals and wait for a further 15 seconds.

5. Attach back the battery terminals and give a 10 second pause making sure the doors are closed.

6. Turn the side lights on.

7. Now turn the engine on and inspect the system functioning.

8. Press and hold down the lock button on the key for 10 seconds.

9. Check the central locking system by unlocking and locking the door consecutively.

10. Turn the engine on again and finish inspecting the system.

Following any other procedure could cause malfunctioning of different units which depend on BSI.

Method for unplugging the battery:

1. Before unplugging the battery, turn off all gadgets and lights, closing all the doors and unplugging any kind of diagnostic tool. The drivers side window has to be kept open for any kind of requirement.

2. Turn off the ignition and take out the key following which unplug the battery after an interval of 3 minutes.

3. The BSI needs to be taken to Sleep mode or Active Economy mode, during which nothing in the vehicle should be operating. Even the bonnet should not be opened that time as it can ‘wake up' the BSI if the vehicle has got an alarm installed. For batteries under the bonnet, the bonnet should be opened and left up before allowing the BSI to go to Sleep Mode. During this 3 minute interval, use of any remote control central locking gadgets for other vehicles should be avoided in the vicinity of the concerned vehicle.

Method for connecting the battery:

The following procedure is for reinstalling the battery connection unless told otherwise by Peugeot or Product service. Failure to follow this procedure may result in damage to the BSI's embedded software during reconnection.

1. All the doors have to be closed with the ignition key turned off and the key taken out.

2. Now without opening the doors, replug the battery and wait for 10 seconds.

3. Turn on the headlights, turn on the engine and inspect the system's functioning.

Mike :

.. So - thats all there is for this - All being well, you will get to the bottom of it / get it started.. BUT..if not... you will have to have it connected to diagnostics if the Eco Mod remains..

Customer:

ok thanks i will try that

Mike :

No problem - I hope you get it sorted ok....

Mike :

Im very pleased to have helped you -Let me know if I can help anymore...

Meantime ~ Please click the "Accept button" for me now - Thank You ...

Please note , you need to press the Accept button even if you are a subscriber to justanswer - thank you again.

Kind Rgds - MIKE

Mike :

Please dont forget the Accept - as thats how Im credited for my time etc helping you - Thank you again.

Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Hello again...

Im sorry - the CHAT system seemed to hang - so I switched us to the QA system..

However we were just finishing up - you just needed to complete by pressing the ACCEPT .. Thank You .

Please do that for me now, so that Im credited for helping you - Thank you - and you are Welcome back to justanswer anytime thereafter..

Best Rgds - MIKE.