Mike, Technician
Experience:  34 Years of repair / diagnostics
9261905

Peugeot expert 1.6 hdi: How do i blead the fuel filter on a

How do i blead the fuel filter on a peugeot expert 1.6 hdi van
Category: Peugeot
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.

Mike :

Hello and Welcome to justanswer...

Mike :

There are two types of these... one has a rubber bulbous unit in the fuel line to the filter - you use that on that type to bleed the system...

Mike :

Hi there..

Mike :

The other is self bleeding - you just crank the engine until it starts - which do you have

Customer:

dont have a rubber bulbous unit so must be the self bleeding one but engine wont start been trying for ages ???

Mike :

Ok - did you fill the fuel filter housing with diesel first when you fitted the filter?

Customer:

Yes filled with diesel first

Mike :

Ok - did you fit a complete filter unit - ie body inc etc - or did you replace the inner filter ?

Customer:

I replaced the full canister filter

Mike :

Ok - there's a couple of things here now then - you first need to remove the filter again and check if there is fuel in there...If not, then its sucking air for sure - Refil it - refit it - and ensure there are no air leaks anywhere..

Mike :

These can be a real pain to bleed - you need after ensuring that the filter is on / tight / no air leaks etc...to re bleed it as per above - crak for 6-8 secs at a time - resting the starter in between for the same time - or you wil burn the starter out..

Mike :

Another way if it refuses to go - is to tow start it...assuming you have done nothing wrong - it will go towing it in 3rd gear until it starts...

Mike :

The other - garage way..is to fit a manual bleeder in the line from the filter to the inj pump and bleed it that way. These pumps are about 10£ or so from car shops ...

Mike :

So those are the ways to get this sorted for you now.

Customer:

no air leaks full of diesel so will try the garage way

Mike :

Thats the best way to be honest with you - we have one that we fit and remove - but for you , I suggest fit it..and leave it fitted...for next time..!

Mike :

Im very pleased to have helped you -

Please click the Accept button for me now - Thank You ...

Please note , you need to press the Accept button even if you are a subscriber to justanswer - thank you again.

Kind Rgds - MIKE.

Mike, Technician
Experience: 34 Years of repair / diagnostics