GazzaR1964
GazzaR1964, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  I have been a self employed mechanic and MOT tester for almost 30 years.
11179493

What is a yellow indicator light on the dashboard

Category: Peugeot
Expert:  GazzaR1964 replied 2 years ago.

Good evening and thank you very much for your question.

Do you have a description of the warning light please?

Is this a petrol or diesel engine?

Regards, Gary.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi It is a petrol.

It says on the manual it indicates incorrect operation of the injection ignision or emmision control system there is a risk of damage to the catalytic convertor

Thank you for your reply.

This is the engine management warning light and it comes on when a fault is detected by the engines computer which stores a fault code. Your garage will need to carry out a diagnostic check to determine what the fault code is.

Your daughter should be ok to continue to drive her car, unless it has a missfire, but I would recommend having the check done as soon as possible. If you do continue to drive, I would recommend that you try to keep the engine speed down and try to avoid prolonged motorway speeds. If you have a missfire, then the catalytic converter can become overheated, which will cause irreparable damage to the cat.

If the problem is safety critical, the engine will be placed into a limp mode, to prevent any possible damage from occurring, and you will feel a drop in performance.

I hope this answers your question.

Regards, Gary.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She is at Uni and drives there from her digs approx 7mins away and will come back home on fiday approx 45miles. Will it be safe enought till I get the car back home ?

Yeah, should be fine as long as she takes her time, as long as it isn't miss firing. Can you ask her if the engine is running smoothly, or feels like it is juddering when it is revved up? If it's running smoothly, then it should be ok.

Regards, Gary.

GazzaR1964, Auto Mechanic
Experience: I have been a self employed mechanic and MOT tester for almost 30 years.