Robert
Robert, Peugeot Mechanic
Experience:  Fully trained 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

Peugeot 307 Style HDI NOT STARTING

hi i bought a used peugeot 307 1.4 style yesterday, and today when i tried to start it, it could not start. when i turn the key i can hear no noise whatsoever. what do you think is the prob pls?
I JUST WENT TO CHECK A FEW MINUTES AGO IF ITS WORKING AND IT STARTED WITH NO PROBLEM!! I TRIED TO TURN THE ENGINE OFF AND TURN IT BACK ON AGAIN A FEW TIMES, AND STARTED IMMEDIATELY.

I CANNOT UNDERSTAND WHY IT COULD NOT TURN ON JUST A FEW HOURS BEFORE. PLEASE CAN YOU EXPLAIN THIS?
Category: Peugeot
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

There could be many things that may cause this..but first off it maybe worth checking your battery connections are clean and secure..Another possibilty could be down to a starter solnoid ie: sticking for example..you would normally find if the ignition lights come on as normal but no responce from the engine/starter.If the battery is in good condtion voltage wise then that would be the first place to check the starter motor and too the connection/wiring between the starter and the alternator and engine bay earth points also..another possibilty could be the key/ignition switch itself.so it maybe worth replacing the battery in the key itself and then run through the resynchronization again by switch the ignition on , hold lock button for 10secs , switch ignition off , remove key and then wait 5 seconds..and then see how that goes....

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Rob, thanks for your reply. i just noticed that an 'economy mode active' sign has appeared on my dashboard. what does this mean? is it a big fault? i am really worried about this as i just bought the car yesterday from a dealer, and i m worried that he ripped me off.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i have tried to jump start it too but to no avail..
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..

Eco mode is essentially a system on the car that prevents the battery being drained completely..so for example with the engine off the system will only allow you to use in car electrical items such as radios/charger sockets etc etc for upto 30 mins then it will shut everything down to stop the battery dropping past a certain voltage level until you start the car up again to recharge the battery and then the cycle starts again..These system run via the cars BSI do in some case cause alot of issues and the only real way to get to the route cause is via the diagnostic port and using the peugeot planet diagnostic machine to determine where exactly the fualt is...the first obvious checks really if the eco mode comes on or stays on is to check the battery connections/terminals plus earth points as suggested above and the state of the battery in reagrds to wether its able to hold a charge and in some cases may require a new one..the alternator charge output...and too also double check all fluid levels oils/coolant aswell..it may also be a case the BSI needs reset..so if the car was bought recenty from a Peugeot Dealer then they should essentially remedy the fualt if the car has a warranty included in the sale..and or do the checks above..if all comes back ok then the only next route really is the peugeot planet diagnostic machine to check deeper into the fualt if its likly an electronic fault.....Just noticed your last post..if your try disconnecting the battery earth lead and leave it for a good while then reconnect then see if the fault corrects itself provided the battery is fully charged..if not then you will need to go all through the checks above in the first/second post..maybe try tapping with a hammer the starter body "keep clear of the connections" as sometimes if it sticks then a good shock may free it up....

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i gave it a push down a slope and it started! the economy mode active signal disappeared as well. i drove it for about 15 mins and turned the engine off to check if it would restart, and it started with no problem. what does this mean? i m not sure if its the battery because if it were the battery i reckon it would have started when i tried jump starting it. what do you think is the reason? do you think i would still need to take it for a check?
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..

Strange.Yes the Eco mode will go off once the alternators charging.I don't think its an immobiliser fualt as that shouldn't really stop the engine from turning over on the starter so i think that could be ruled out.If it bump started like you say then it the only obvious areas to check is the battery itself/starter motor connections/ignition switch.I still think you should go through the checks as suggested above in regards XXXXX XXXXX checks...But it does sound electronic or something on the car is draining the battery below the preset value to have the eco mode flag up..so it maybe worth getting a full system diagnostic test done by them on the car and see if anything is highlighted through that.I think thats about the best way forward at this stage...

Robert, Peugeot Mechanic
Experience: Fully trained 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK Rob, will do as you suggest. thank you so much for your valuable help. It is much appreciated.