Mike, Technician
Experience:  34 Years of repair / diagnostics
9261905

PEUGEOT: AM GETTING AN ESP/ASR SYSTEM FAULTY WARNING WHEN I..ON.

OWN A PEUGEOT 207CC 4 YEARS OLD WITH APPROX 18000 MILES ON THE CLOCK. AM GETTING AN ESP/ASR SYSTEM FAULTY WARNING WHEN I SWITCH ON. DOESN'T SEEM TO AFFECT THE PERFORMANCE BUT SHOULD I BE CONCERNED!
Category: Peugeot
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.

Mike :

Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

Customer:

Good Morning

Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Hello again... Ok - slight glitch there - we are no then in Q & A.. but thats fine ;)

Can I just ask - have you had any checks done at all on the systems - and plug in diagnostic tests ?

Too do you get any other lights or warnings - and is the power reduced at all on the engine ?

Rgds - MIKE...................................

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Mike, I had a diagnostic check carried out but not at a Peugeot garage & they couldn't find out what the problem was, said it might be the 'pump' & if it was would cost about £900 to fix, they suggested taking it to a Peugeot garage which I will do if necessary. Now & again it feels as if the car loses a bit of power but just for a couple of seconds & then seems fine again!.

Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
HI again...

Thank you for your reply.. Ok.. well yes.. I would advise for sure to have the car checked at a Peugeot garage - really because they use equipment that is dedicated to the Peugeot you have - rather than generic aftermarket test equipment. .. which is fine - but sometimes and especially when you may be looking at an expensive repair - its worth having the dedicated test equipment on it...

On the car you have - the Esp / Asr lights can come on for a variety of reasons - several components can cause it if not operating as they should. This can be something as simple and cheap as a faulty brake light switch...through to problems with anti pollution system on the car with several different engine management components in between - None of which are terribly expensive.

The worse case scenario is the Esp unit fails internally. It is basically an electric computer unit - quite capable of failing - and they do come out at circa 700£ - so thats probably what the garage was leaning toward..

They will have come up with fault codes for the Esp / Asr system - but that is not really very helpful - as its obvious there are going to be such fault codes as you have the fault lights on... So , hence, the need for more in depth - live data testing to be done - with the aid of the Peugeot equipment - which will narrow it right down and find the fault..

SO really yes in this case, thats the next step on this one. Going back to the brake light switch - just check with someone that your brake lights are working...if they are not - again, a faulty switch ( which fits above the brake pedal ) will cause all of this. Its not a forgone conclusion that its not the switch neither if the lights do work - because a part of the switch circuit is connected to the other systems - again - they will test for that ... but of course if the lights don't work - that is a dead giveaway... In which case, a new switch is all thats needed for sure - so do just check that..

If no luck there - have it checked at a local dealer a above... that now would be the quickest , cheapest / cost effective forward to curing this for you -

I wouldn't leave it too long for having this done because as time goes on, it can lose power and become underivable if it gets too bad - depending on exactly what part of the system has become faulty of course.

I hope that all helps you ...at least with the way to go...and that will soon have it sorted for you....

Kind Rgds - MIKE..