martin jones
martin jones, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  25 years as a mechanic and mot tester, owned own business for 10 years city and guilds trained
20682938

206 gti: fault codes..van..passenger airbag disconection presenthow

Customer Question

peugeot 206 gti airbag fault codes
code 64 van vehicle area network
code111 passenger airbag disconection present
how do i fix ?
Category: Peugeot
Expert:  martin jones replied 3 years ago.
Hi and welcome to JA.COM, i will try to assist you with your problem, first off, have you a switch to turn on/off your passenger airbag, if so, you need to turn this on to reset the code 111, please advise, i will look further into the 64 van code for you, kind regards martin.
Hi there, i cant find any reference to code 64 VAN, The most likely causes are the connections under the 2 front seats for the seatbelt pretensioner and for the side airbags if they are fitted, simply a case of cutting the connector out and joining the wires with a heatshrink solder type sleeve.
The other possibility's are a faulty comm 2000 unit, this would cause a 'drivers level 1 igniter open circuit or short circuit to earth' fault, though it is less common but not unheard of for these units to develop airbag problems.
The actual airbags never usually cause faults.
There could also be a faulty ecu, or a power supply problem to the ecu.
If your battery has recently been flat then it can cause 'temporary supply voltage' and 'passengers airbag deactivation not defined' faults too.

To anyone reading this.
NEVER attempt any work on your car's airbag system unless you know exactly what you are doing.
The airbag components (airbags, side airbags, seatbelt pretensioners, curtain airbags) are pyrotechnic devices which means they are set off by a small explosive charge.
If you inadvertently set off an airbag component when removing it, or when your head is near it you could kill yourself. A few people die each year in the UK alone working with airbag systems when they shouldn't be.
And don't use a multimeter to test the wires either unless you know what you are doing as checking resistance of an airbag WILL detonate it.Hope this helps, kind regards martin.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi there

i do have a passenger airbag deactivation switch witch is key operated but the (passenger airbag deactivated ) is still displayed on the multifunction unit and instrument panel in both the on and off positions is there any way of testing the switch besides replacing it

thanks

Hi there and welcome back,ok glad you checked the switch, i personally would hard wire the connections under the front seats, this is often a common fault on most cars, as for testing the switch i would not advise as if you use a multi-meter to test you could set off the airbags, carry out the above first and let me know how you get on, i will await your reply, kind regards martin.