FiestaEAC
FiestaEAC, Technician
Experience:  UK Ford MG Rover and European Manufacturer Mechanic
19517166

Peugeot 207 What causes the anti pollution warning on my the

Customer Question

What causes the anti pollution warning on my the engine to come on and is it true that there have been timing/cam gear issues with this range of engines?
Category: Peugeot
Expert:  FiestaEAC replied 3 years ago.

Hi there hope i can be of assistance,

Is this a petrol or diesel?

What engine size is this?

Does the car display any symptoms, ie missfire, smoking, odours?

Thanks Bob

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Petrol turbo, 1600cc.
Engine occasionally goes into some kind of lw power mode, with no turbo-like performance. This usually clears after a day or two and is not accompanied by any diagnostic warning lights or error reports. Twice, a warning message about a depollution system fault has appeared, with the same symptoms as above, but gone again in a day or two.

Looking at diagnostic reports suggests a downstream oxygen sensor issue (weak) - though now replaced. Lamda seems under control via the primary sensor. Values of about 1 are reported when cruising, 14 under acceleration or load There is no sign of smoking or odours. Fuel consumption seems high by about 10-15%, although looking at the instantaneous figures from th on board trip computer suggests that under cruise conditions on a level road, fuel economy is pretty normal. What does seem excessive is fuel consumption on load, i.e. Accelerating or on incline.
Expert:  FiestaEAC replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the reply,

Ok i think the best thing to have done now is an actual emmisions test, preferably while the car is down on power.

This will show us if there are any lamba sensor failures, and shows if the cataylitic converter.

The down stream oxygen sensor is only a monitor for the catalytic converter and dosent effect performace/fuelling. If this is showing 'weak' as in an excess of air, then have the exhaust system inspected in detail for any remote leak, and also check the air intake system, especially the trunking after the MAF sensor.

Thanks Bob

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok, thanks for your help. However, I was looking for specific info. & experience with these BMW/PSA THP engines, as fitted to several Mini, Peugeot & Citroen vehicles. Searching the net. suggests owners have experienced specific problems with these engines. Reports of several cycles of dealer visits, parts replacements, no fault found diagnoses, fault re-occurrence exist. There are also hints that there are replacement timing gear component kits. This suggests an actual design flaw, either inherent or batch-related. Anecdotal evidence suggests the dealer network is somewhat reticent to talk openly about this (cost implications?). I was hoping I could find something more definitive. Can you help any more?
Expert:  FiestaEAC replied 3 years ago.

Ok ill opt out and open this upto other experts, some of which may have the experience your looking for.

Thanks for your time.

Bob

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Bob, thanks for your understanding and professionalism.
Best regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
The person that answered didn't really have the knowledge I was looking for. The current status on this question is that the first expert has opted out and has opened the question up to others. This was about a week ago and I am still awaiting a further response.