Mike, Technician
Experience:  34 Years of repair / diagnostics

Starting problems..a 406 diesel 1999 hdi..Heater wont start

Customer Question

starting problems with a 406 diesel 1999 hdi. Heater core light does not always come on so car wont start
Category: Peugeot
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer...

You list your car as a 19 D... and a HDi engine..

To be able to help you properly - I need to know exactly which engine you have - as Peugeot didn't do a 1.9 Hdi - only a 2.0.

If you can clarify for me... If you can give me the engine code , that will help - and the full car reg number too.....

One other thing - did this happen after changing the battery --or was the problem there all along / before..?

Too - please tell me exactly what you have done, what parts have been changed etc...

Rgds, MIKE..........................................
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Mike

its a 2.0 hdi

I drove the car about 50 miles stopped and left it for half an hour and then the car would not start. I flattend the battery trying to start it. I then fully charged the battery and it started first turn. I drove about ten miles and left the car for about 3 hours and the same fault. no heater light and the car would not start. could it be as simple as the battery can they go that quickly? or is it a fault with the heater plugs?

Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Hello again, thank you for your reply and info..

Ok, the heater plugs on these don't really have a lot to do with the starting ... they are more for emission control on the Hdi engine and only come in for cold starting in extreme cold conditions...

I suspect from what you say, that you may have an issue with either the battery or the charging system..

The Hdi system / engine management systems need a good battery / good charging system to operate correctly - starting etc..

So do that , have the battery tested and also , the charging ensure that all is as it should be - because again, if its not, it will give you these troubles..

IF its not as above, then I suspect you have a fuel system issue - quite likely an injector fault... one faulty injector will cause the engine not to start.... but - check or have the above checked first in case thats all it is...and go from there..

IF you do have to progress as above - I suggest a proper plug in diagnostic test - because with these systems, the diagnostic machine will check the fueling system, pressures , injectors etc all electronically and so is a quick, cost effective way of getting to the fault.....

So work through as above and you will get to the bottom of this one for sure..

I Sincerely XXXXX XXXXX have helped you - but do ask me if you need anything more..

Kind Rgds, MIKE

• >>>>>>>>>Please don't forget ....Please press the ACCEPT button if you are happy with my answer/advice given - as that's how I get paid for my time, knowledge and expertise given. Thank you.

Feedback and any Bonuses are always appreciated too. Thank you.