FiestaEAC
FiestaEAC, Technician
Experience:  UK Ford MG Rover and European Manufacturer Mechanic
19517166

Peugeot 107 Hi. last week I had a new clutch fitted to my

Hi. last week I had a new clutch fitted to my 107. Before taking it to the garage there were no problems with the gears. Since collecting it, I have developed a gears problem. The gears are really difficult to select especially when working down the gears. I have taken it back to the garage and they say its a problem with the gearbox linkage is this correct. However, previoulsy they said they was not problem with the gears. The problem did not exist before the clutch was replaced.
Thanks, Amanda

FiestaEAC :

Hi there hope i can be of assistance

FiestaEAC :

This does sounds like a gear linkage problem

FiestaEAC :

if this was a fault with the clutch itself, you would expect the poor gear change to be in all gears up and down

<span class="JA_chatAuthorName"XXXXX:

Hi

FiestaEAC :

I think on your model it is fitted with gear selector rods, not cables so its unliekly to be an ajustment problem

FiestaEAC :

i would have them double/treble check the selector mechanism has been re-installed correctly, ensuring all nylon bushes/cups/joints are in good origional condition

<span class="JA_chatAuthorName"XXXXX:

Hi it is difficult to select the gears up as well as down but down is worse. Could the damage have been done when the clutch was replaced given that no problem existed before. Sorry can you explain whay you mean when you say unliekely to be an adjustment problem.

FiestaEAC :

There are 2 types of gear selector, one is a cable type, which can be adjusted

FiestaEAC :

the other is selector rods, these cannot be adjusted

FiestaEAC :

your model is fitted with selector rods, so the workshop who replaced the clutch wont of just adjusted this wrong, somethign has either been installed wrong, or damage during removal/installsation of the clutch

FiestaEAC :

So the likely cause of this is the selector mechanism has been damaged during the clutch replacement

<span class="JA_chatAuthorName"XXXXX:

Ok, let me double check this, so my car has selector rods, is that definite? How could I prove that something has been either installed wrong or damaged during the removal/installation of the clutch. Is it unlikely that the linkage would have just suddenly failed. I want to go armed as they have already fobbed me off 3 times

FiestaEAC :

Yes selector rods,

FiestaEAC :

If the fault wasnt there prior, and now it is, then the fault has to of occured during installation of the clutch, its basic logic which the workshop isnt applying!!!

FiestaEAC :

If they are refusing to accept this, your best option is to go to another workshop and get a second opionion of the selector rods

FiestaEAC :

this way your getting a new prospective on the job, from someone who has no opinion on the vehicle

FiestaEAC :

if there is a fault found, which there should be, then you can go back to the origional workshop armed with an invoice stating whats wrong

<span class="JA_chatAuthorName"XXXXX:

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX point i think I will take it to another garage, is it a big job to look at the selector rods, does the clutch need to come out etc dont want to get ripped off again.

FiestaEAC :

No the selectors run from beneath the gear knob, to the gearbox, so the workshop will simply have to put the vehicle on a lift, and inspecect the system without removing anything

<span class="JA_chatAuthorName"XXXXX:

Thank you you have been really helpful. Will click the accept button so you get paid. Amanda

FiestaEAC :

Thanks for your time :)