Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  2003 Graduate
14008320

My 3 year old hamster is breathing heavy, has a swollen left

Customer Question

Hello. My 3 year old hamster is breathing heavy, has a swollen left side of his face, can't seem to right himself, is lethargic, his eyes are crusted up. I want to help him but there isn't a vet nearby that cared for small animals.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the hamster. What is the hamster's name?
Customer: Lucky
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lucky?
Customer: He was fine yesterday and today I found an ugly black bug in the tower where he sleeps and he was limp with all the other symptoms
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Pet
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I paid the fee, can someone please help me. My kids are crying and the hamster is getting worse!He had bedding in his cheek and I was able to flush ot out with saline but his mouth by the front is red and swollen.
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 7 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that you have not heard back from us by now. Can you share a few pictures of what you're seeing with Lucky?