Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.
6012901

I have two outdoor bunnies. One bunny had fleas when I got

I have two outdoor bunnies. One bunny had fleas when I got them from the animal shelter. I took them to the vet and got Revolution for them. I have ordered a new supply of Revolution for them out of Australia because it gets expensive trying to treat both bunnies. Now I'm wondering if perhaps they might be getting mosquito bites. I'm not sure but I noticed some standing water near the cage. I will treat them as I saw in your article on mosquitoes and rabbits. I noticed my bunny scratched one area and a little hair is missing. Is there something like an ointment that I can safely use on that area and monitor it. I'll take him to the vet if it gets worse. It gets expensive. I wish there was a way I could make them indoor bunnies but I've developed asthma so that's not possible.Also, I do organic gardening in my yard and was using the rabbit waste as a mulch for the garden. Now I'm afraid to because I've got them both on Revolution. I tried to ask the manufacturer how quickly it breaks down and if it would be safe to use but they could not provide me any information. Any idea how long it takes for revolution to breakdown? Thank you. Lori
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lori?
Customer: I know revolution is safe because my vet prescribed it. I just bought more from Australia because it is cheaper. It is the correct dosage and not expired. Nothing else from the vet.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Hello and welcome. I apologize that no one responded to you sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just logged on and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with over 40 years of experience raising and showing rabbits. Some additional information will help me determine the best steps for you to take. How often are you applying the Rebolution? Do the rabbits live on the ground or in cages raised off the ground? Are you still seeng fleas? Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The bunnies are in a large raised hutch with an upper and lower area and I also attached a 4x6 run on the ground with a soft padded area on the ground. My roommate had her bunny for five years outside and we never ever had a problem with anything. It was in the same area. The only difference is that I added the run. It is not over grass but over a shadded brick area. When I get home in about an hour and a half I will physically look at them to see if there are any fleas. I gave my bunnies the revolution about almost a month ago. They were fine until last night and I saw that the little onewas scratching. Flopsy is the only one that seems to scratch. I had the vet about 3 months ago give me one dose of Revolution eatfor both of them. Then I went and bought the advantage at a pet store and treated them almost a month ago and ordered the revolution. I was going to apply it today as would be one month. I think I remember something about the vet telling me that the revolution could be given as often as every two weeks. Not sure. In California you have to have a prescription for revolution. I was embarrassed to go to my vet and ask for it because I felt bad I wasn't buying it from them. I'm so grateful I found a place I could order in Australia. Is there an ointment I can apply on the one place Flopsy scratched? I plan to trim their nails when I get home and monitor it if it gets worse I will take him to the vet. It just gets so expensive and I don't make a lot of money. Thank you so much I'm so glad I found you guys.
Thank you for getting back to me. I'll answer your question about an ointment right away. You can use plan Neosporin ( the kind with no added pain relief). That can prevent infection and help healing. However, if something is causing Flopsy to itch,she'll probably continue to scratch. I'll wait for you to check for fleas when you get home, and then I'll address your other questions.
The previous post should have said plain, not plan. Revolution (selamectin) is actually absorbed into the body. It remains there at active levels for 4 - 5 weeks.
Sorry, that posted before I meant it to. However, compounds in that group break down rapidly once they are expelled from the body. A study has been done on horses given ivermectin ( a close relative of selamectin) to see if using their manure harmed plants or soil. They found that the medication broke down very quickly when exposed to sunlight or when hot composted. Using conventional horse manure has been approved for organic gardens, but if you sell your produce commercially, you will need to have it tested for residues. What this means is that if your garden is grown for your own use, exposing the manure to sunlight for a few days or hot composting
it should be sufficient. You can use the manure at any time during treatment if it is treated that way. You can see the study http://www.santacruzwire.com/index.php/maria-gaura/162-is-horse-manure-safe-for-organic-gardens.html
There are some other concerns with using any flea products on rabbits for the long term. These chemicals have only been tested in dogs and cats. Only the cat products are used in rabbits, but that is still an off label use. Some of the more common side effects involve the digestive system. Rabbits have extremely sensitive digestive systems, so I am a little concerned about continual dosing. If you do find fleas, at least a second treatment will be needed. As long as the rabbits spend time on the ground, they will be prone to repeated infestations. That's because wild rabbits, squirrels, mice, and even some wild birds spread the fleas . You may want to consider keeping the rabbits in their hutches. Flea medications can cause allergic reactions in sensitive animals. It's possible that Flopsy's itching is a reaction to the Revolution. If you have more concerns, just let me know. Thank you very much for bringing us your question. I hope you'll soon be rid of the flea problem.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your awesome responses. I checked my white bunny because she's easy to see if there are fleas. I don't see any. I looked at flopsy a little, the one that is scratching. He is a darker and skiddish so it's hard to hold him. I will give him another dose for a month or two. I understand your concern about using ongoing. Thank you for your information regarding how Revolution breaks down. My garden is only for personal use. I tried calling the manufacture, etc.and could not get the information. I suspect there might be several other causes. I had meant to clean the main cage for several days but got busy. I had cleaned out their bedding and litter box there was some Alfalfa and poop down on the main floor. I noticed what looks like flies, I'm not sure. It's really hard because I bought these bunnies when they were still young and they continue to go everywhere. Our other bunny was so easy because he would go in the same litter box all the time. These guys go everywhere. It makes it harder to keep everything clean. Maybe they were biting my bunnies because we've never had any kind of fleas before. I have tried to train them to just one litter box but I haven't had any luck. I've also looked at videos, any ideas? Thank you so much. I will definitely get a hold of you again if I get any questions. Thank you so much, Lori
You're welcome, Lori. I understand your frustration with the litter pan. In my experience, some rabbits naturally go in one place, while others don't. You'll read all kinds of ideas online, but in my experience, they just don't work. With rabbits like that,mint may be best to have a wire floor so the waste can drop underneath the hutch. They will need a resting mat. I use cardboard. When it gets wet or dirty, I throw it out. Flies do bite, and sometimes they lay eggs on rabbits. The resulting maggots can cause a lot of damage, so keep an eye out for them. One of their favorite places to burrow is the anus. If that happens, your vet will need to help. Good luck with the fleas and flies.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I will keep an eye. Thank you. Lori
You're welcome.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
You are great. I will rate you highly. I think I will contain them for a while I'm a smaller space and let them out to place. Perhaps I can litter train them. They are about 6 months old.
Thank you. It certainly can't hurt to keep trying on the litter training. Most people get better results with neutered and spayed rabbits. I hope you can succeed in getting them litter trained.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I hope so. They are fixed. Have a blessed day. I will rate you now.
Thank you for the excellent rating, and the generous bonus. It is very appreciated.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Anna
Customer: replied 30 days ago.
Hi Anna, Flopsy and Rose Petal are better.I spoke to an Entomologist today who said it was a type of fruit fly. My rabbits have no fleas. Possibly mosquito bites or allergies? I hung some fly paper and Flopsy is healing. Thank you so much!
Hi. That's good news that there are no fleas. Fruit flies may be a nuisance, but don't harm rabbits. Rabbits can develop allergies, and of course mosquito bites itch, so either one is a possibility. I'm happy to hear Flopsy is healing. Thank you for the update.