Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I heard a loud sound like something being knocked over in

I heard a loud sound like something being knocked over in the guinea pig room about 4 this morning. Went to check, all seemed normal. Both males. The younger one was hiding in his house and wouldn't come out, not normal for him...he's very social. Didn't come when I opened the food or anything. Abnormal for him. Took him out and held him for a long time, inspected him and didn't see anything alarming. He didn't poop on me, which is unusual for him. I cleaned his cage and gave him a warm bath and he made ONE poop. Thar was 5 hours ago and he hasn't made another. He will eat, but lays to do it. Seems a little disoriented. Not at all himself. It's he constipated? I don't SEE any poop when I look at his behind. I've had pigs for over a decade and this is a new one for me. Is there something I can do to help him out now, or do we need to wait and go to the vet?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the guinea pig. What is the guinea pig's name?
Customer: Einstein
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Einstein?
Customer: He's very sweet and loving and a cheerful little dude and this is really out of character for him, I can tell he's feeling pretty bad.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but wanted to touch base with you about Einstein.

Now I suspect that loud noise has given your lad a scare and stress can trigger changes to the rate of gut movement, GI microflora, and can actually trigger gut stasis in this species. Furthermore, we'd also have to be wary of non-related gut blockages (from something he ate, hairballs, compression of the gut from masses/enlarged organs, etc) So, we need to tread with care.

Though for the moment, we do need to try to help him return to regular stool passage. Its good that he will eat (though the laying down has be concerned that his belly hurts), but try offering high fiber foods (ie hay squash, etc). These will help maintain fecal regularity and help push any blockages through. You can even feed canned pumpkin +/- mixed with veggie baby food to get more fiber into him. Furthermore, since stress does affect the GI microflora, we could also use a OTC cavy probiotic (ie Benebac) and there are fibre/probiotic pastes that also could be used here.

As well, do this, we need to keep a close eye on him. If he seems sore at all (and it can be subtle since prey species hide that they feel unwell) , then we'd want him to see his local vet urgently. They can assess him for blockages, pain elsewhere, and check gut motility. Depending on their findings, they can start prokinetics to keep the gut moving and cavy safe pain relief and that way we can make sure we nip this in the bud and get him feeling like himself again.

If you don’t already have an exotics vet, you can find one near you at http://aemv.org/index.php/members/vet-locator. If you are struggling, then also check @ http://www.guinealynx.info/vetlist.html or @ http://rabbit.org/vet-listings/ as these vets usually will see pocket pets as well.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you!: )

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you so much. This morning when I checked in on him, his hutch had a good (normal? ) amount of poos in it and he was eating and drinking as usual (as far as I can tell). He still doesn't seem 100% himself, but he's no longer bloated and appears to be on the mend. I'll make him an appointment with our vet to make sure something bigger isn't at work here, but for now it seems like your probiotic and fiber advice has done the trick and the sheer panic has worn off. I'm very relieved to see him feeling more comfortable again!