Joan
Joan, Vet Technician
Experience:  Vet Tech for 35+yrs. Small Animals and Fish
5071285

Him, we have a gold fish that has a bladder or inflated

Customer Question

Him Hi
JA: What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: we have a gold fish that has a bladder or inflated belly..swimming upside down.
JA: OK. I'm sorry to hear that. What is the fish's name and age?
Customer: My daughter looked online regarding this condition and she has put medication in the water and fed him peas,
JA: How old is My?
Customer: i don't know how old he is, she rescued him from being flushed
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about My?
Customer: no
Category: Pet
Expert:  Joan replied 2 months ago.

I suspect that you are seeing Swim Bladder Disease which affects a fish's swim bladder. This is the organ that helps in maintaining a fish's ability to balance and swim in a normal position. When it becomes blocked up or too full of air it stops functioning properly.

This can be a result of water quality, over feeding dry foods or a Bacterial infection. Poor water quality can play a major issue contributing to the Swim Bladder problem. The first step to helping is to check your water quality. The Ammonia should be 0, Nitrites 0 and the Nitrates 20 ppm or less. You should have an API test kit to check the levels. I suggest getting the API Master Test Kit and test the water as soon as possible.

We can try some first aid to help the fish.

1) First do a 3/4 water change and be sure to add some de-chlorinator or use bottle Spring water for replacement.

2) Next we feed a couple of frozen peas in which the shell has been removed. You will need to be sure you crush the peas for the fish. This helps the stool to pass and will sometimes help to relieve the problem. You have done this step. If the fish will not eat it withhold it for a day or two.

Most important step:

3) I also suggest using aquarium salt at 1 teaspoon of the salt per gallon of water. The Salt helps to draw out fluids that can cause swelling in the swim bladder disease.

I do not suggest adding any medications until the water is checked, and the aquarium salt is usued. The medications can make it worse by changing the water parameters.

If the fish is in with other fish it may be wise to set up a hospital tank which will make it easier to treat the fish.

There are some other methods of treating swim bladder which include reducing the amount of water in the tank which helps to decompress the swim bladder, but I would only use that as a last resort.

This link will help you locate Fish Vets if the treatment does not help: http://www.koivet.com/a_fishvets.html

Please hit reply to discuss this information.

My goal is 100% satisfaction. Please hit reply if you have further questions, so I can meet that goal and give you the best possible answer.

Joan

Joan