Dr. Lori
Dr. Lori, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian
96382098

I've noticed these small bumps on her tail. At first they

I've noticed these small white bumps on her tail. At first they were in one location- just 2 or 3 little bumps and now there's probably 6 or 7 and they're still very small- look like black heads that need to be popped but they're firm and now there's about 6 or 7. Some of them look like they've popped on their own because they have scabs on top. She doesn't seem bothered by them..she doesn't have a change in energy or appetite at all. She has been licking her paws recently but the bumps have been there for about a month. And within the past two weeks I've caught her maybe 3 times dragging her butt across the carpet. Don't know if that has anything to do with it...help :/ Shes a westie/Maltese mix. 7 years old
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Khloe
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Khloe?
Customer: No

Hi my name is***** and I can offer some help.

could you attach picture for me to look at ?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Attached 5 pictures. I can try under different lighting too if those aren't helpful.

I'm sorry the picture just came through now.

for Khloe those look to be:

• Calcinosis circumscripta- which are calcium deposits
  • or
  • milia (basically large white comedones)

Now Khole does need to see the vet.

What I typically do with these types of lesions is pop one with a needle to get an idea of what they are made of.

If they are gritty like mineral I start with lab values to get an idea of what is going on.

Based on the lab values I then decide if I need a biopsy for diagnosis.

The calcium deposit are secondary to a disease. This is a good link to read http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-health-information/article/animal-health/calcinosis-circumscripta-and-cutis/590.

Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.

I will check back tomorrow to see if you have any more questions.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you very much. I'll definitely take her in. I noticed last night after examining it again her skin has a brown lining to it on the sides of her tail. Could it possibly be ringworm? Or are those bumps not usually associated with ringworm.

no its not ringworm.

Its either Calcinosis circumscripta or milia.

Let me knwo if you need anything else.

I strive to provide you with EXCELLENT service. Please continue to reply until you are 100% satisfied. A positive rating at the end of our chat is appreciated

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
loristkitts