Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

We have 2 male ginea pigs. They are haired. The younger one

Customer Question

Hi this is Joanne. We have 2 male ginea pigs. They are long haired. The younger one Vanilla sandwich has missing hair patches that look like dry patches. He's been scratching his back area. I don't have an exotic vet near by. Not sure what to do?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for the pics! The most important consideration at this time is the mite Trixacarus caviae. Severe pruritis (itchiness) is a hallmark sign of infection; animals can scratch so intensely that they appear to be having a seizure; this may lead to severe self-induced trauam with secondary fungal or bacterial infections. Treatment is based upon the organism identified but all products available are used off label in the guinea pig. I understand your logistical contrains, however. If you want to see if treating this mite is helpful you can purchase a 1% injectable solution of ivermectin in many pet/feed stores or online and dose it at 0.2 - 0.5 mg/kg orally every 7-10 days for 3-4 treatments. There are 10 mg of ivermectin in each mL of a 1% solution. You'll need to weigh your pigs carefully and use a tuberculin syringe to dose accurately.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Vanilla Sandwich. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
We took them to vet and he has minge. Not sure exactly what that is. She put a topical cream on them and we have to shampoo them 3 times a week with a special shampoo and we have to go back in 2 weeks. Thxs for asking

Mange refers to the mange mite Trixacarus caviae as mentioned above. I don't believe that a cream and shampoo will be as effective as ivermectin as posted above.

Thank you for the update. I appreciate your taking the time to let me know.